Elk M1G no exit delay with night or stay?

rccoleman

I've spent the last couple of days setting up my new M1G and I'm trying to figure out if I can eliminate the "exit delay" when I arm with something other than "Exit". The exit delay makes sense when I use "Exit", but it doesn't make much sense to me when I use "stay" or "night".  I don't want to change the entry/exit 1/2 times because I believe that they'll affect all modes.  I had hoped that the "instant" variants would eliminate the exit delays, but they only affect the entry delays.  In all tests so far, the exit delay counts down in all modes and it behaves as I'd expect (opening an entry/exit zone doesn't set off the alarm until after the delay expires).

Is there a way to avoid the exit delays in non-Exit modes?

Thanks,
Rob

I'm not sure that I understand your question but I think that you want to arm without an exit delay. If you have an F-key available I believe that you can use a whenever/Then rule to arm immediately when the key is pressed.

Mike.

Also check out page 30 of the M1 installation manual. There are zone definitions that allow arming with no delay.

Yes, I want to ARM without an *exit* delay and I'm not seeing that when I use the "Instant" variants of the Stay or Exit modes. As far as I can tell, the "instant" only applies to the "enter" delay, and I still get the "exit" delay no matter which option I choose. Is that expected behavior?

I have also set up F6 as follows:

Whenever
Night Instant (Task 1) is Activated
Then
Arm Area 1 to Night Instant Immediately

When I hit that button on the keypad, it starts a 60 second Exit countdown and any doors opened during that time (set to Exit 1) don't trigger the alarm.  When the 60 second countdown completes, it arms and there's no entry delay before the alarm triggers.  As far as I can tell, the "immediately" isn't doing what I expect.

I want the exit delay to be active when I put the alarm in Away mode, but not in Stay/Night when I'm inside the house and not planning to leave.  Having an exit delay with the Stay/Night modes isn't a big issue, but I was hoping to be able to say "arm now without delay" and the "night instant immediately" seemed to promise that.

SIA/UL is going to be the reason here and standards.

You're always going to have an exit delay on delayed points when arming no matter what way. Think about if the system was armed by you exiting and leaving another person in the house....that's the common application you're not going to see a completely instant arming on a partial system, same with E/E error logic.

Does 60 seconds (or whatever your E/E delay is) really make that much of a difference here?

DELInstallations said:
SIA/UL is going to be the reason here and standards.

You're always going to have an exit delay on delayed points when arming no matter what way. Think about if the system was armed by you exiting and leaving another person in the house....that's the common application you're not going to see a completely instant arming on a partial system, same with E/E error logic.

Does 60 seconds (or whatever your E/E delay is) really make that much of a difference here?

No, like I said, it's not a big deal.  I do find the wording of the unqualified "Armed, no delay" in the manual (page 30, same "AN" as with non-entry/exit zones) and "Night Instant Immediately" in the rule to be at odds with the actual behavior, so I was trying to determine if I was doing something wrong.  Thanks for the clarification on why it is the way it is.

Rob

rccoleman said:
No, like I said, it's not a big deal.  I do find the wording of the unqualified "Armed, no delay" in the manual (page 30, same "AN" as with non-entry/exit zones) and "Night Instant Immediately" in the rule to be at odds with the actual behavior, so I was trying to determine if I was doing something wrong.  Thanks for the clarification on why it is the way it is.

Rob

Wait... If I browsed through this thread correctly then I believe you're interpreting those armed states all wrong. They have nothing to do with the exit delay, only the entry delay. In which case there wouldn't be any causing the alarm to activate instantly if an entry/exit sensor was violated during one of those modes.

video321 said:

Wait... If I browsed through this thread correctly then I believe you're interpreting those armed states all wrong. They have nothing to do with the exit delay, only the entry delay. In which case there wouldn't be any causing the alarm to activate instantly if an entry/exit sensor was violated during one of those modes.
I understand that now, but it's not clear from the documentation. It just says 'no delay', and now I know that it's just 'no entry delay'. I suspect also misinterpreting the rule action that says 'arm night instant immediately', but again, it's confusing. There's nothing 'immediate' about the arming - it still obeys the exit delay. Are the 'instant' and 'immediately' just redundant and both just indicate that there won't be an entry delay?

rccoleman said:
I understand that now, but it's not clear from the documentation. It just says 'no delay', and now I know that it's just 'no entry delay'. I suspect also misinterpreting the rule action that says 'arm night instant immediately', but again, it's confusing. There's nothing 'immediate' about the arming - it still obeys the exit delay. Are the 'instant' and 'immediately' just redundant and both just indicate that there won't be an entry delay?
Immediate is that, your definition is where the confusion lies. The system will always obey the exit time, with the exception, which would be an auto arm event that could be delayed via an external action, as what is done in many commercial sites, where there is no user interaction, other than the ability to extend the closing for a couple of times by entering a keypress upon keypad arm warnings.

I'm still not clear on what "immediately" is doing in this context.  How does "arm night instant" different from "arm night instant immediately"?

rccoleman said:
I'm still not clear on what "immediately" is doing in this context.  How does "arm night instant" different from "arm night instant immediately"?

The M1 rules allow you to set the arming mode right now, or after some delay time.  The keyword "immediately" simply says that the Arm Night Instant mode is to be set now, without delaying when the arming mode change is to take place.  But the exit delay, which is part of the arming process, still applies.

Back