ELK M1G Output 7-16 Wiring

Smcross03

Hello All,

I have some questions regarding the wiring of the 7-16 outputs on the M1G.
1. Does the +12V location supply power for switching a relay or is this an input for a 12V source?  I've reviewed different documents on ways to use these outputs and it appears to be a source, but I want to be sure.
2. If it is a source, it appears wiring could get messy when you have multiple outputs being used.  How do you handle providing the 12v to multiple output relays? Do you splice, use a terminal block, etc.? 
3. Does any one have pictures, or schematics, showing how they used these outputs? 

The reason for the questions is it appears one of my low voltage lighting transformers is going bad and I would like to replace the 3 transformers with one and control each of the lighting areas with their on relay. I'm trying to get a full understanding of how to wire these outputs so I can figure out my best course of attack.

As always, your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Scott

Smcross03 said:
Hello All,

I have some questions regarding the wiring of the 7-16 outputs on the M1G.
1. Does the +12V location supply power for switching a relay or is this an input for a 12V source?  I've reviewed different documents on ways to use these outputs and it appears to be a source, but I want to be sure.
2. If it is a source, it appears wiring could get messy when you have multiple outputs being used.  How do you handle providing the 12v to multiple output relays? Do you splice, use a terminal block, etc.? 
3. Does any one have pictures, or schematics, showing how they used these outputs? 

The reason for the questions is it appears one of my low voltage lighting transformers is going bad and I would like to replace the 3 transformers with one and control each of the lighting areas with their on relay. I'm trying to get a full understanding of how to wire these outputs so I can figure out my best course of attack.

As always, your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Scott

If you are asking about the J-16 connector, then the +12 and NEG pins supply power to whatever is connected to J16.  Usually, you would use this with a wiring harness to supply power to a M1RB relay board.

If you just want to connect a few individual relays to these outputs, then you can still use the +12V and NEG pins to power them, but you'll need to use wire nuts or terminal blocks to connect all the individual power wires together.   Or, you could get power from the +VAUX terminals.  The power source is the same either way.   Another option is a fused power distribution board, like the Elk PD9 or the Altronix PD4, PD8 or PD16. These are probably overkill for just relays.

Individual relays are ok when you only have a couple to deal with.  For more than that, my preference is a 12V relay board. You can find some inexpensive boards with 2, 4, 8, or 16  relays on eBay and Amazon.  They require only one 12V connection, making the wiring cleaner.

Hello RAL,
I would just be using these outputs to switch relays. I have no plans to power anything with them. My only plans are to automate my low volatage lighting which is 12VAC and maybe my irrigation at 24V. So with that, how would I wire a relay using these outputs? Would I wire the +12v to one side and the output to the other to open and close the circuit?

Sorry for the newbie questions.

Thanks,

Smcross03 said:
Hello RAL,
I would just be using these outputs to switch relays. I have no plans to power anything with them. My only plans are to automate my low volatage lighting which is 12VAC and maybe my irrigation at 24V. So with that, how would I wire a relay using these outputs? Would I wire the +12v to one side and the output to the other to open and close the circuit?

Sorry for the newbie questions.

Thanks,

It depends on what type of relay you are going to use.  Is it an Elk relay like the 912 or 924?

The Elk outputs can directly drive a relay coil that requires no more than 50mA to operate.   The Elk 912 and 912B are such relays.  The coil  draws 30mA and the contacts can handle a load of up to 10A AC or 7A DC,  which might not be enough for your application.

With the Elk 912 relay, you would wire the relay coil directly to the M1's NEG and Output-n terminals.  Then connect the COM and N/O terminals on the relay to your load.

Many automotive relays draw much more than 50mA, often 100 to 200mA, so they can't be connected directly to the M1's output like you can with the 912.

What you need to do in that case is have a low current relay like the 912 activate a heavy duty relay which controls the actual load. 

I can draw a picture if that would help.

RAL,
Would I use a power source such as my Aux supply as the power to activate the high current relay? Use a 912 to switch the power from my aux supply which in turn activates the load relay? If this is the case I dont really need a schematic.

Smcross03 said:
RAL,
Would I use a power source such as my Aux supply as the power to activate the high current relay? Use a 912 to switch the power from my aux supply which in turn activates the load relay? If this is the case I dont really need a schematic.

Yes, although you could get power for the heavy duty relay from the M1, the aux supply would be a good source, too.  Because the power to the heavy duty relay coil is switched by the 912 relay contacts, the heavy duty relay is essentially isolated from the rest of the system, and it doesn't matter where it gets its power from.

Serodgers, may you please tell me how you control sprinklers?  I'd like to know how you wired all of this.  Thank you.  Yann

Back