Elk M1G Remote Reboot

icellama21

Is there a way to remotely or locally reboot a M1 without using the ON/OFF switch?

The switch is locked away in a panel and it is annoying to have to do a service call to reboot it. Doesn't happen a lot, but occasionally the M1XEP just stops working and a reboot of the M1 is the only solution. I already have the power supply to the M1XEP and internet router on a relay which resets most problems, but every blue moon the serial port on the M1 seems to get stuck. Usually after an ElkRP session with a bad connection, but sometimes random. Usually everything else works, just the serial port is hung and no communication of any sort works through the M1XEP.

I dont believe a software command would be allowed but one thought would be 2 more relays, one on the ELK battery and one on the main power, cut the battery first, then the main power but I dont know what will happen to a rule that was in progress when it restores.

I'd be fine with a keypad-activated function that was locked behind the installer code. I'm sure it could preserve the state of the machine. When playing with the databus I've noticed "reboots" where the M1 will restart and go through its warm-up sequence. I'm sure the code already exists. I can repro it by rapidly pressing on the * key on my keypad until it starts beeping and I hear "Welcome Home" and all the outputs shut off. I'm just asking for the crash recovery to be a little simpler to activate than asking someone to pound a key on a keypad.

I'm sure it could preserve the state of the machine.

as for the state of the machine I was concerned if you use my method above, and disconnect the battery and power. I was wondering what happens to rules in progress when it comes back alive. This would also be a concern to any other rule you may be running not just thia remote reboot. ex. If I am watering my lawn using elk relays and it reboots in the middle of a cycle, what happens?

MC - IIRC from previous readings, it's supposed to reset the relays, basically turning off all the outputs.

Curious though - I know I've never had to reboot mine in nearly 2 years; Does the homeowner not have access to the panel? Other options could be to drill a hole in the box and put a keyswitch or something to briefly interrupt power, or something along those lines. Of course, I do see why the programmatic method would be nice.

Of course, you could always set up a relay to interrupt panel power - but that'd by nature be only a momentary interruption of power since as soon as you cut panel power, it'll release the output which would in turn restore the power to the panel. I think I'd want like a 10-second delay. For that, you'd be best using a timed relay... something that'd hold the power interruption for a few seconds then restore.

Hopefully Spanky will chime in - I'm sure he's come up with a way for this already anyway...

The Elk-960 timer Relay would do what you want to reset the power. Use an input to the 960 and it will time out say 10 seconds to reset any power.

As stated above, if the M1 powers itself down, it will immediately come back up.

There is a Rule for loss of Ethernet connection to a central station.

An ethernet client with a relay output would be ideal to monitor the for loss of ethernet.

Back