ELK M1G with Uplink 2500 - Easiest Replacement?

Prefect, thank you.  I'm happy with the features we have now (at least I'm not $300 interested in the C1M1).

Thank you.

drvnbysound said:
Sorry Linwood, I was asking for other reasons... specifically installations that don't already have an XSP :)

No issue and certainly worth discussing, I just wanted to make sure I was not missing something, like a sunset on the 4500ez next year or incompatibilities not considered.

Continue...

Is there a downside of using the 4500EZ instead of the 4530EX other than cost?

I have a XSP I am not using and the transmitters seem to be around the same price. So for the cost of the serial cable or I can make my own it seems like the 4500EZ is the winner.

I had an interesting twist to this.  I wrote Alarm Relay last evening after this discussion to ask if they sold them (figured they were nice, i would offer) and got a call back to warm me that the Uplink's do not provide any zone information, only alarm indication, that it could only be hooked up to the bell circuit (I think she said).  

She also said my current setup was not sending zones (it is).

I guess just to make my certainty 100% not 99.9% I'm going to do a test run with the Uplink only no internet, but I found this kind of an inappropriate sales effort.  And Alarm Relay has previously been very nice to deal with.

If you connect the Uplink to the bell outputs of the panel, then sure, it can't provide any zone information.  But if you connect the 4500EZ to the serial interface, or the 4530 to the phone line interface using dialer capture, then I think the zone information should be passed to the central station.

I'm sure DEL can give an authoritative answer on this.

AR are idiots.

the 2500 and 4500 take full data serial from the panel and transmit the same to Uplink. Full data CID is sent from Uplink to the CS, either via POTS/panel emulation (Uplink uses DTMF to essentially spoof a panel to the host CS) or a direct TCP/IP port to the CS IP receiver.

The 4530EX passes full data and can use 4 different formats and pass through the same to the CS. Hell, you can even map different event codes on the old formats like 4/2.

I've had issues dealing with AR in the past. They argued with me that a NX-8's event report code for a 24h aux is automatically a medical panic (it's not) and couldn't understand modifying the account template to reflect that report code being a low temp alarm (NX-8 did not have dedicated ZT or RC and I was only adding a temp to the cust's house).

OK, after running out of steam trying to figure out if the new Elk device was usable, just ordered a 4500EZ, hopefully it will be an easy conversion.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I would've recommended the 4530EX.....simpler install and free up a serial port (downside is requiring a zone to monitor supervision of the cell). Generally $25 cheaper for the unit and saves ~$100 on the XSP and the manufactured cable cost ($25-50 typically). The cost outweighs the benefits and the performance is essentially the same. $100 for full data via capture, less a panel zone vs. $200 more out of the box for a "full data via serial"

Well, hopefully this one will work, I am hoping for basically plug and play compatibility with the 2500 on the serial port.  The unit was $125 vs $90 for the 4530EX.

Will update if it works (or beg help if not  :blink: ).

You need the 4500 specific cable for interface to the XSP, the existing one with the 2500 will not work. It does not come with the unit.

DELInstallations said:
You need the 4500 specific cable for interface to the XSP, the existing one with the 2500 will not work. It does not come with the unit.
Sigh.  Hope the soldering iron still works.   And that I can find a radio shack that has the right connectors, now that Sprint took them over they seem to be slacking off on components.

Unit should come in a day or two, so still lots of time.

Thanks for the head's up, I think I can get the parts I need from the picture on the link in the prior page.

Back