ELK-M1XOVR (8 relay/ 8 voltage) output expander wierd problem

Using this board for my sprinkler system, while on vacation get call that one zone had been on for 3 days...no problem, had the friend cut main house water off....get home and explore... on my board the second relay will not turn off. This happened after a powerfailure while we were gone (elk did have its battery backup, but it may have drained because log does show a system restart). The relay is not stuck, if i kill power to the output board the relay will click closed. Sending open/close signals to it does not do anything. I fear it may be a firmware glitch (since relay is freely operable as evidenced by manually powering the board on/off). Have you guys seen any failures like this? I was only using 6 relays so i just moved that sprinkler zone to the 7th relay for now, but would like to know if there is a fix or if this is a known failure. THanks!

I have the same problem with a M1RB. One relay stayed on all the time, while another would never turn on. Haven't had much time to do troubleshooting yet, but like you, I moved the devices to another output.

Me too.... I havnt had time to diagnose the problem but had a yet to be used board on the shelf. I made the swap and all was well. From this, I'd have to suspect the relay or the board, not M1 itself.

I have an output board that did all of those things and even lost the firmware at one moment. Even a new board in the same spot behaved flaky. It turned out to be too close to the ethernet expander. I moved it about 2 inches and all was well.
I reflashed the expander that lost it's firmware and I didn't see it misbehave since. (about one year) Since the firmware isn't on the Elk site it was mailed to me by support.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Erwin

Back