Measuring voltage with an Elk M1 system

Old11C4

I have a solar powered driveway gate. I will be installing a low voltage cutout switch to prevent damage to both a deep cycled battery and possible damage to the gate motor and controller. In discussion with the gate manufacturers tech support, low voltage could result in erratic behavior and damage.

I can easily install a relay to signal a voltage cut-off, but would then have no warning of a potential problem.

I would like to monitor the voltage with my Elk M1 board. In time, I can adjust the trigger value in the rules to give ample warning of even slightly abnormal operation. -- and of course more warnings of an even greater/progressive under voltage condition.

The gate operates off a 12VDC battery.

Do I just wire the positive battery post, or better a 12V current limited output from the controller board to the zone (along with a signal ground)?

Some of the Elk power supplies - especially their new supervised supply look great. I will be installing one in an outbuilding with a remote security panel. The gate, however, is solar powered and not a candidate for the Elk’s power supply (requires A/C). BTW, the input zone will be located on an M1XIN Input Expander in this outbuilding.

Thanks

Using M1 zones in "unconventional" ways has been discussed here periodically, particularly for direct temperature and voltage measurements.

IMHO no good M1-only solution has been found for these requirements. Proposals have ranged from cutting the pull-up resistor on the XIN to "overloading" the zone.

Using the M1 in the "as-designed" realm, if you were willing to establish two thresholds for your application, you could have switch closures that would first signal trouble on a zone at the lower threshold, and then signal alarm on the zone at the higher threshold.

For my purposes, I bought a Barionet, which has direct analog measurements, while I let the M1 do the things it does well.

Using M1 zones in "unconventional" ways has been discussed here periodically, particularly for direct temperature and voltage measurements.

IMHO no good M1-only solution has been found for these requirements. Proposals have ranged from cutting the pull-up resistor on the XIN to "overloading" the zone.

Using the M1 in the "as-designed" realm, if you were willing to establish two thresholds for your application, you could have switch closures that would first signal trouble on a zone at the lower threshold, and then signal alarm on the zone at the higher threshold.

For my purposes, I bought a Barionet, which has direct analog measurements, while I let the M1 do the things it does well.

I agree it would be better to use the M1 as designed. In ElkRP, a zone option is listed for Type 34 = Analog Zone. Is such not supported?

Thanks for the Reply - much appreciated.

34 - Analog - For sensors that produce a variable voltage (0 to 12 volt range). Requires the Whenever/And/Then
rules from the ELK-RP software. NOTE: This definition is only available with the ELK-M1G (Gold) control.

Type 34 = Analog Zone
By all means, try it. I have not had reliable results with this, which I attribute to the fact that every M1 zone provides its own power through a pull-up resistor, meant to attach open/short/EOL sensors.

FWIW, Analog type 34 works very nicely when detecting differences in resistance. I use this approach -- distinct resistor values to determine a selector switch setting -- as part of my HVAC control.

Lagerhead said:
By all means, try it. I have not had reliable results with this, which I attribute to the fact that every M1 zone provides its own power through a pull-up resistor, meant to attach open/short/EOL sensors.

FWIW, Analog type 34 works very nicely when detecting differences in resistance. I use this approach -- distinct resistor values to determine a selector switch setting -- as part of my HVAC control.
Holy thread revival, I know....

You wouldn't happen to have a range of resistance that you are using would you? 0 to 100 ohm, 1000 ohm, 10,000 ohm , etc...?

Back