Elk M1XZW - is there really no polling?

GeorgeM said:
IVB said:
cool. How's the latency, is that configurable? I.E., poll the light switches every <x> seconds to see if someone has manually changed them.
There is no set polling that I am aware of. I mean I did not set up a polling activity. The reaction is not instant. I think a lot of it depends on the network system. ELK (and CQC) will update status anywhere from 1 to 10 seconds. I would say that most are done within three seconds. I have been trying to get better response times from my IR's to lights coming on. Sometimes that may take a full second or so.

George M

What wall switches are you using? Are you using the Leviton ActiveNotification ones?

I have all Intermatic HA06 switches in-wall which don't have active notification. Hence i'm wondering whether i'd actually know if someone has manually changed them unless I use a system that supports polling.

I'm using all Levinton RF (RZI06-1LX). Not the newer Leviton Plus switches. Havent heard of the Leviton ActiveNotification.

Okay, that's what I was afraid of. I believe the Leviton switches are designed such that they'll send a message out if someone manually changes the state. The Intermatic ones aren't. (hence the price diff - $32 vs $65) I can't actually confirm this via any literature b/c god forbid zWave folks be clear on that stuff.

Oy, so now this is a $200 test and it may not even work period...

There might be some confusion on how the Z-Wave works, it is a RF
system that requires a receiver and transmitter to send and receive the
the Z-Wave signals. This is what the what the Rzcop does and it converts these signals
to RS-232 that the M1G can understand. In other words the Rzcop plugs into a serial interface
on what ever you would like to control the Zwave devices. Zwave cannot be used with the
M1G without the Rzcop device or conversely the Rzcop cannot be used alone.

Cliffs

oh, i understand all that, I have a 23-device zWave system that's all Intermatic.

What i'm questioning is the value of buying an RZCOP and integrating with an Elk if it won't poll my 23 Intermatic HA06 switches for their status. 1way control over lightswitches via the Elk is pretty useless.

It is half-baked integrations and no cross-mfr interdependencies that makes me think zWave isn't long for this world.

You have two way status to the M1 with the RZCOP except for scene switching from a light switch.

You have two way status to the M1 with the RZCOP except for scene switching from a light switch.

Is that true even with Intermatic HA06 switches that are turned on/off manually? If so, I could certainly try the RZCOP to see if it'll work.

Hi Spanky - This sounds cool.
So if I ditch my M1XZW for an RZCOP, will the Elk know the on - off status of a light for to correctly "toggle" via rule? Will it also know the dim level that was manually changed at a switch?
I have ZDW120 switches.
Also - how does the Elk know? Does it poll the switch somehow?

Is that true even with Intermatic HA06 switches that are turned on/off manually? If so, I could certainly try the RZCOP to see if it'll work.
Did you take the plungeon the VRCOP?
I'm ready but would feel better if Spanky (Or Anyone) would confirm that with the Elk + VRC0P that the ELK would know on-off or dim level... I am so new to this that maybe I am asking the wrong question??? I am not yet ready for CQC or other software, but will be once I have it all in my head straight...

Not yet, i was hoping for confirmation about VRCOP polling my HA06 switches, not just the leviton ones.

so, actually, with the RZCOP, does the Elk poll to get light status if I manually turn the lights on/off? I don't have the fancy 2way active notification switches, just the regular Intermatic HomeSettings ones, and CQC currently handles that via polling.

Yes, the M1 works well with the RZCOP. It does d polling as in "turn a light on via the switch and elk will update". I also use many PIR to turn on and off lights through CQC and the M1.

Problem is that you need to have the remote to set up first. Then there is a program from johnny9 to export the info to the M1.

George M

An alternative to the remote is possible for much cheaper, if you have an easily portable computer like a laptop. I use the ControlThink Think Essentials application. See http://www.controlthink.com/thinkessentials/

I use the Think Essentials, not the Professional Edition, and I'm able to setup the Z-wave network. The current pricing, which is about $50.00 includes a great USB Z-wave adapter that has the ControlThink branding but is manufactured by Wayne-Dalton. The USB adpater is firmware upgradeable and also works fantastically with my Windows Vista x64 edition computer. It supports the 4x (40Kbps) devices as well as being able to support the earlier 1x (9.6kbps) Z-wave devices.

I went this route, as I wanted the primary operation of all the lighting to occur from the M1G. A remote can be picked up and used, but I am also trying to reduce confusion for the family by not having dozens of remotes around for all the various AV equipment, let alone more for lighting.

An alternative to the remote is possible for much cheaper, if you have an easily portable computer like a laptop. I use the ControlThink Think Essentials application. See http://www.controlthink.com/thinkessentials/

I use the Think Essentials, not the Professional Edition, and I'm able to setup the Z-wave network. The current pricing, which is about $50.00 includes a great USB Z-wave adapter that has the ControlThink branding but is manufactured by Wayne-Dalton. The USB adpater is firmware upgradeable and also works fantastically with my Windows Vista x64 edition computer. It supports the 4x (40Kbps) devices as well as being able to support the earlier 1x (9.6kbps) Z-wave devices.

I went this route, as I wanted the primary operation of all the lighting to occur from the M1G. A remote can be picked up and used, but I am also trying to reduce confusion for the family by not having dozens of remotes around for all the various AV equipment, let alone more for lighting.

How does the Elk control that USB stick?

I'm ready but would feel better if Spanky (Or Anyone) would confirm that with the Elk + VRC0P that the ELK would know on-off or dim level... I am so new to this that maybe I am asking the wrong question??? I am not yet ready for CQC or other software, but will be once I have it all in my head straight...

I can confirm that the M1 does register and update the on - off and dim level with the RZCOP and leviton switches when controled with the switch. Dont know about any other brand of switches.

Georg M

I can confirm that the M1 does register and update the on - off and dim level with the RZCOP and leviton switches when controled with the switch. Dont know about any other brand of switches.

Georg M

Thanks for the reply, George M. I had almost run out of things to spend money on!! ;)

Not yet, i was hoping for confirmation about VRCOP polling my HA06 switches, not just the leviton ones.

Well, I got sick of waiting for an answer, so i just bought the VRCOP and handheld programmer. I'll hook it into the Elk this weekend and see if it can poll my HA06 switches to see the status.

If not, it'll be the shortest time from purchase to install to eBay/listing for sale yet. I'm sure a few choice swear words will be in there as well :)

Well, I got sick of waiting for an answer, so i just bought the VRCOP and handheld programmer. I'll hook it into the Elk this weekend and see if it can poll my HA06 switches to see the status.

If not, it'll be the shortest time from purchase to install to eBay/listing for sale yet. I'm sure a few choice swear words will be in there as well :)
I got the best answer I figured I was going to get - ordered a VRCOP and an M1XSP - might have them by the weekend.

Back