Elk new user question

dgeffs

Just got an Elk M1G and coming from a Stargate this bugger is different. I realized this panel had a bunch of alarm features and my goal is to use none of them. I want to use the zone inputs in a HA capacity to monitor switch closures only of an unsupervised nature. Some will be NC and some NO and no resistors. Do all the alarm functions for arming, disarming etc have to be active or programmed or can I just use the panel to detect inputs without fooling with the alarm stuff? Are there any gotchas operating the panel in this manner? Is use of the keypad a must?

For sure on using it with no alarm.... For months, that was all i used mine for (and chime). No reason you can't. If you do get a keypad, not sure you could get rid of the "ready to arm " message though?

On no keypad, not 100% sure - ElkRP should get you all the programming needed, so i would think you'd be ok without one...

-brad

Just got an Elk M1G and coming from a Stargate this bugger is different. I realized this panel had a bunch of alarm features and my goal is to use none of them. I want to use the zone inputs in a HA capacity to monitor switch closures only of an unsupervised nature. Some will be NC and some NO and no resistors. Do all the alarm functions for arming, disarming etc have to be active or programmed or can I just use the panel to detect inputs without fooling with the alarm stuff? Are there any gotchas operating the panel in this manner? Is use of the keypad a must?

I am using my Elk M1G much as you describe but I have not tried it without a keypad installed.

I expect you will be happy with your choice of an Elk M1G and you will find a lot of help on this board with any questions you might have.

Brian

I am using my Elk M1G much as you describe but I have not tried it without a keypad installed.

I expect you will be happy with your choice of an Elk M1G and you will find a lot of help on this board with any questions you might have.

Brian
So perhaps I can set it up using the kepad to enroll all the boards etc. and then just use the software to control everything making sure I never arm the system. Sound reasonable?

You can use the M1 for the contact closure only operation. It will send RS-232 ASCII commands out the serial port as things change. You can disconnect the keypad and only use the control. You will not have any annunciation on low battery or AC failure though.

A lot of people use the M1 as the arms and legs for a PC based automation system. You can setup Rules so that if the PC fails it can reboot the PC or call a cell phone to let you know there is a problem.

For a Watchdog system:
Upon powerup start a timer. The PC will send an ASCII command into the M1 to keep the timer set to some value, say 1 minute. If the PC should fail to keep the timer set, the timer will run to zero and activate a set of Rules that could reboot the PC and dial a cell phone to deliver a voice message. And the list goes on.....

Have fun!

[/quote]
So perhaps I can set it up using the kepad to enroll all the boards etc. and then just use the software to control everything making sure I never arm the system. Sound reasonable?
[/quote]

Sounds good. At some point you may find a use for the keypad to support your automation efforts, the use of function keys to trigger rules, etc. I use the ELKRP software for the board enrollment, works very well.

Brian

Back