Elk Output control

stacyh3

I'm seeing some strange behavior that I may have just not noticed before. I have an automation rule that reads like this:

[codebox]WHENEVER HTD Doorbell(Task 4) IS ACTIVATED
THEN TURN HTD Doorbell(Out 19) ON FOR 1 SEC[/codebox]

The rule seems to fire okay. Output 19 is connected to the doorbell button input on my HTD Whole House audio system and the ring sound plays throughout the house. When I look at the outputs display on my TS-07, it says that output 19 is STILL ON after much more than one second. I can't seem to figure out why this would be the case. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Stacy

Measured. The output stays on. This happens with several outputs and I have not yet detected a predictable pattern. I hope I'm just missing something simple.

Is there an Input that triggers the task?

If so, try linking the zone input directly to the output with a rule that doesn't involve the task at all

When input X becomes NOT secure
then turn output yy on for zz seconds.

I can give that a shot. The task always triggers though. It's just that the output is turned on and stays on. Of course, there could be something odd in the software, so I'll try your suggestion.

Thanks!,
Stacy

Well, I tried bypassing the task as suggested, but this didn't make a difference. Still every once in a while, the output stays on instead of going off after one second. Could this be a firmware bug?

Perplexed,
Stacy

Very strange.
A few questions:

Does it always stay on forever, or does it sometimes shut off after the 1 second, or does it stay on for random times but eventually shuts off?

Since you're using output19, I guess you have an output expander. Do other outputs on the expander turn on/off as expected? What if you temporarily use an output 7-16 not part of the expander?

What if you disconnect output19 temporarily from its load, and just connect it to a volt meter?

Just trying to isolate and rule out different parts of your circuit, to try to narrow down the possible problem areas.

My suggestion is to remove the task and add a simple rule like
whenever f2 is pressed
then turn on output 19 for 1 second

and
whenever f3 is pressed
then turn off output 19

and see what behavior you get pressing f2 and f3.

I had time to do a few more experiments.

1. Output 19 sometimes turns off after 1 second. Sometimes it stays on until I turn it off or re-trigger the rule.
  2. Output 7 with a similar rule always turns off after 1 second.
  3. It doesn't matter if there is load on output 19; it still shows the same behavior.
  4. There are no interfering rules. Nothing else touches Output 19.
  5. I see the same behavior on other outputs on the expansion board.

I'm going to go step-by-step through the wiring and jumper settings, etc., but this is really odd.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. That's what I love about this community!

Stacy

Maybe a data bus communication problem? Is your data bus properly terminated according the the ELk manual?
(Jumper on at both ends of the data path)

I had time to do a few more experiments.

1. Output 19 sometimes turns off after 1 second. Sometimes it stays on until I turn it off or re-trigger the rule.
  2. Output 7 with a similar rule always turns off after 1 second.
  3. It doesn't matter if there is load on output 19; it still shows the same behavior.
  4. There are no interfering rules. Nothing else touches Output 19.
  5. I see the same behavior on other outputs on the expansion board.

I'm going to go step-by-step through the wiring and jumper settings, etc., but this is really odd.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. That's what I love about this community!

Stacy

This is interesting.

I have outputs on a "remote" expansion board controlling my garage doors. Among other things I use the "on for 1 second" feature to achieve this. I have noticed from time to time the doors do not respond. I haven't gone to the trouble to do any testing yet but it might be the same issue. If an attempt to raise/lower a door is made and the output goes on and stays on for more then 2 seconds before going off (for whatever reason) then the door controller is merely reset, the doors are not activated. This might be what I am seeing.

I need to go test this.

Well, everything is terminated correctly. I'm using the Data Bus Hub, so none of the devices are terminated. The control is terminated at J3 and the RJ45 terminating plug is in the first unused jack on the DBH.

Any other thoughts?

Stacy

Maybe a data bus communication problem? Is your data bus properly terminated according the the ELk manual?
Well, everything is terminated correctly. I'm using the Data Bus Hub, so none of the devices are terminated. The control is terminated at J3 and the RJ45 terminating plug is in the first unused jack on the DBH.

Any other thoughts?
There is a test you can do from the keypad to see data bus error counts...

ELK 8 RightArrow 6 RightArrow

Any other thoughts?
There is a test you can do from the keypad to see data bus error counts...

ELK 8 RightArrow 6 RightArrow

Good plan. I checked the error count. Zero. Sigh...

Back