[SOLVED] ELK M1G Repeat 1367 System Startup and tiny Siren sound

TriLife

Greetings;   I have noticed some strange behavior on my M1Gold.   1- First of all, the mother board sounds like it has a tiny wailing siren on it, which keeps on wailing for a few seconds and starts again... There is no siren connected to the system.   2- looking at the log, I keep getting repeat 1367 = SYSTEM START UP messages. Not occasional, NON-STOP It only stops, when I connect in with my M1XEP. After power up, the extended data columns says:  Control, Keypad 1, Input Exp.2 and 3 and 4 and 5.   I have a couple of F keys programmed on Keypad 1, they respond ok, so do the magnetic door sensors...     I tried disconnecting EVERYTHING from the M1 except for the M1XEP and rebooted the system. Same reaction.   Attached is the log file. Note that before disconnecting the various Expansion boards, the STARTUPs only indicated Input Exp. 2 and 3... EDIT: And, after I logged off the M1G and the Forum, went for dinner and logged onto the M1G again, the STARTUPs are back to Exp 2 and 3...   For completeness' sake. Only 2 magnetic sensors are connected to the board at this time, the expansion boards are sitting empty. No fire or anything else... There is no phone line, it communicates via the XEP. EDIT: I have 2 M1DBHs. Exp2 is the first RJ45 on M1DBH-1 and Exp3 is the first RJ45 on the M1DBH-2. The termination dongle is at the end of DBH-2.   Changing the OUTPUT 2 from Siren to Voltage doesn't kill the wailing siren.   Thanks for your help

Follow Up;

I figured out the problem.

When I added the additional expansion boards, I also added little Buck converters to get a 5V supply for some Z-Wave motion sensors... It would appear that when those buggers came alive to send data, it created just enough noise on the 12V supply lines to cause expander 2 and expander 3 to glitch and reset the system.

Solution: using the spare BLU/WHT pair to carry the 12V straight from the mother board to the buck converters... this stopped the SYSTEM STARTUPs.

Putting a meter to the supply pins of the expander, it shows 13.87V, the supply of the buck converters shows 13.40V. The lines are fairly long (300ft round tip).

I already had a back-up power supply on one of the far expanders, but hadn't hooked it up. I will now!

Cheers;

when you say buck converters are you talking about the P212S  power supplies? I am having the same issue. but on an existing system we didn't put in. What I found was the last P212S didn't have a termination jumper. Put one in and so far it seems to be holding up. I found it metering out the data bus. Found 15.11K ohm on that run. 

gjf said:
when you say buck converters are you talking about the P212S  power supplies? I am having the same issue. but on an existing system we didn't put in. What I found was the last P212S didn't have a termination jumper. Put one in and so far it seems to be holding up. I found it metering out the data bus. Found 15.11K ohm on that run. 

I suspect he means a buck converter like this one. The P212S is just a 12V aux power supply, with no 5V output. 

Improper bus termination can certainly cause problems, including restarts. 

There should  be exactly 2 terminators installed on the data bus - one at each end.  When you measure the resistance between Data A and Data B signals, you should get a reading of about 60 ohms if it is terminated correctly.  Not sure how you could have read 15.11K unless that was with no termination at all. 

Depending on how the wiring for the data bus is laid out, the M1 may be at one end, or it may be in the middle, between 2 branches.  So make sure the terminators are truly at the end points. 

RAL is correct. It's a DC-DC converter, which I used to drop from the Elk's 12V bus to tue Aeotec Z-Wave sensors' 5V USB supply

Back