Elk Rules

noshali

Is there a way to write a rule that would disable or enable another rule.
For eg the rule could be "GUESTS" that would disable the "Goodnight" rule which runs everyday at 9:30 pm...

regards,

not directly, but you could have one rule (guests) set a flag (aka output) and the other rule (goodnight) would add a condition (and output is off) to prevent triggering.

You could use an output for that. I.e. "If output101 is On, Then (execute goodnight)...". Then you could create a guest rule which controls the behavior of that Goodnight rule.

edit: nm, I see Wayne beat me to hitting submit :)

Or, depending on what exactly you're trying to accomplish, you can also use Tasks, like Whenever Task is activated then either control the output that controls the rule, or control the other rule directly. Hope that didn't confuse.

Thanks....I figured the output part and ass hoping that there was an easire way of doing this.

regards

noshali said:
Thanks....I figured the output part and ass hoping that there was an easire way of doing this.

regards
I've found out that most things require several rules to accomplish. Since there is no 'OR' logic or 'WAIT/PAUSE' command, you end up using several rules to accomplish what you want. I don't expect this will change.

That is a shame.....I hope that SPANKY will read this and implement or atleast let us know if that will ever be implemented.

Hey guys, take it easy. It is not a shame it is a different programming paradigm used for decades for programming automation controllers (PLCs). You see, structural programming is not the only way to write a program, nor the best way in all situations. Exactly for this reason is that none of the other programming paradigms (structural, block or functional) has surpassed this simple way of programming in the manufacturing automation world.

Said that, I see no reason for not having an OR and NOT operators. Even the simplest PLCs can do it. Do not disregard the power of the NOT operator, my friends.

Back