Elk...too...addicting...

IVB

must...get...sleep...now that i've gotten my Elk working, i can't seem to put it down.

I learned how motion detectors work tonight (ok not hard, but new to me), of course i had to wire one immediately and learn how to use ElkRP and CQC to make it all go. Then, I had to make it all look pretty, as I have a ton of friends coming over tomorrow for my daughter's bday party, and this would be a nice show-off kind of thing.

ok, i need to wake up in 5.5 hours - i'm seriously going to bed now.

Although maybe I could begin creating "drill-down" screens for each room with all the controllable/monitorable items (TV, temp, curtains, audio, windows/door,...). So what if I don't have half the stuff wired yet...

VladStudio_House_Temperature.JPG

VladStudio_House_Motion.JPG

I have told several people about the ELK. When they hear the price they give me the old "is it really worth it"? After hearing what it can do they get hooked. In fact one friend has begged me not to tell her husband about it or she will never see him again (the guy has run over 100 hardwired sensors for an Ademco panel, imagine what he could do with the ELK). he even hardwired tons of 4 way switch circuits for lighting. If he knew of Insteon etc he would never leave his house.

I to havent finished hooknig up devices yet I spent hours setting the panel up with the RP to do things that the sensors are not even installed for yet.

Debating adding something like CQC but not sure what to get. I want touchscreens that will display CCTV as well but that is new territory for me. I am still a little behind the technology and I work in the field (a limited area).

Maybe we need to start a new group EA. Like AA only for people with an M1.

Looks nice.

What do you plan on using for temperature in the rooms? (clearly some will have keypads which makes it easy for those areas).

Mike said:
Looks nice.

What do you plan on using for temperature in the rooms? (clearly some will have keypads which makes it easy for those areas).
Thanks for the notes.

If you look at the top image, you'll see a few temperature readings. I'm using the Elk temperature sensors. The outside one is the one with the 7' probe. That way I could mount the base in my crawl space, and I just drilled a small (1/4"?) hole in the outside wall, right next to the irrigation water valves. People barely notice it, and when they do they figure it's got something to do with all the valve equipment that's 6" over from that.

Debating adding something like CQC but not sure what to get. I want touchscreens that will display CCTV as well but that is new territory for me.
Actually i've got a Kodicomm DVR card sitting in the box, and am about to order some cameras so I can do just that. The UI will be driven by a CQC web browser widget that will show the Kodicomm webserver. I'm not sure whether my 3400 touchscreen has enough horsepower to display a streaming CCTV image, but i'll tell you in a few weeks :)

I look forward to hearing how things go. For now I need to concetrate on what I ahve already purchased and on making some extra money to pay for the rest.

Back