ElkRP Notes

elcano

Since the amount of rules that I'm programming in my M1G is growing large, I tried to do documentation in the only place available for this purpose: The Notes field in the Account Details. To my suprise I got a limit of 255 characters. This is a a known database limitation of the MS Access Text data type, but the Memo data field does not have this limitation. It would be great of this field is replaced by a Memo data type in the next ElkRP version.

Actually, this change is so trivial that I opened the ElkAccts.mdb in MS Access and changed the data type for the field storing this information (Accounts.Notes). I was able to add more information. But when opening it back in ElkRP, it only displayed the first 255 characters. The other information was not shown, but remained there. In order for this to work the field logic have to be changed in the program too. This would be a greate simple improvement to ElkRP.

Warning: Dont attempt this at home. :D
Seriously, dont mess with the other tables or fields in the database. They look really ugly. Also, I did proper backup of my original MDB before attempting this.

I am replying for the ELKRP Guru to the above post:

Tell the fellow that doing what he did is NOT advisable, because future updates to the database may not work if the database has been modified in any way.

ELKRP Guru, Engineer
Elk Products, Inc.
B)

Thanks for the heads up Spanky.

The original MDB what restored before submitting the above post. This was just an experiment. Tell the ElkRP Guru not to worry about my hacks- B) - I'll not do it again. I want his mind to be fresh and free of stress so that he can continue working on all our requests. :D

Good news. The ELKRP Guru B) has crawled out of his cave and announced that the next new version of ELKRP and M1XEP Ethernet update is about to release. He says that he will let it brew until next week until final testing is complete. :D

Back