Email From Web Control Board

Mike P

Hi,

I'm at my second home in Lake Placid, NY Trying to get email messages working for monitoring low temp. in the house. I am having no luck so far. I use Register.com for my email and have Time Warner for my isp. below is what I am entering into Web Control.

SMTP Host = Mail."domain name".com
Port = 587 or 5125
User Name = Email address
Password = Email address password

Does anybody have a similiar email setup like this working? any suggestions or pointers would be a great help!!!

Thanks,

Mike

I'm go to assume that "Web Control" equals M1XEP. If so, then try port 25. Make sure you have filled in a valid "FROM" address. And, try your user name for your Register.com account - not the email address. Does the "Test" work? If so, then you just need to disconnect for full email functionality.

Sorry, Yes it is a CAI Webcontrol board. I did try port 25, no luck with that either. I checked the outgoing mail server settings on my iPhone and they are set the same as my above description. my iPone is using port 587. Any other advice that might help me to make this work?

Thanks,

Mike

Jagon mail support non SSL email. Sending less than 200 email a month is free. That one works with WebControl.
Once you registered a free email account, you can use relay.jangosmtp.net. as your email server, port 25, enter your user name and password in Jangomail.

I have my webcontrol board emailing fine with time warner.

Make sure the gateway is set properly, when you do a reset it's set to 192.168.1.15 for some reason.

Most ISPs offer their own email servers, in that case, they allow customers to send non-SSL emails through their servers. Some of them use port 25 and some of them use 587 or other ports. You will need to dig the ISP web site or call ISP support to find out the port should be used. Some smaller ISPs contracted their email services through GMAIL. GMAIL server does not allow any non-SSL encrypted email.

Most ISP also require authentication for sending emails through their server. Please make sure entering working username and password so that ISP servers can identify the correct user. The "From Address" is normally your email address for the username. A lot of ISP does not allow using "From address" not belonging to the user account.

IF you do hardware reset during power up, it will reset all the configurations, including emails and all other configurations.

Salesguy,

THANKS.....The gateway seemed to be the issue. It looks like its working fine now(test emails). I changed the gateway from .15 to the proper gateway, left the port at 25, and...SHAZAM!!! Now if I could just get my Elk M1 working as well. The Elk is on Cablevision not the same as the Time Warner connection for my CIA board, I'm going to try the same setting and see if I have any luck.

Thanks Again,

Mike

Awesome! I spend a good while messing around trying to figure out why my emails weren't sending until I happened to glance at the gateway setting. No reason why it shouldn't default to 192.168.1.1 on reset, maybe that can make its way into the next firmware release.

I use my gmail account to send mail, but I do it through a mail server i run locally on linux, that way I can work around the SSL limitation.

To have email working, you will need to get network configured correctly, not only gateway, but also DNS servers configured correctly. If network configured correctly, clock will be displayed correctly. If the clock is off, check the network configuration. By default, WebControl set its gateway to itself, so that all the network function, like NTP, DNS will fail immediately, without waiting network timeout.

In the email configuration,your email address on the SMTP server is the user ID most time. However, in some servers, it could be just the user name without the domain part. Calling your ISP can save you some trial and error. The non-SSL SMTP port is also a good question for the ISP support people. Most ISP, including ATT, Verizon and Time Warner do provide non-SSL SMTP services for their own customers. However, some smaller ISPs do not handle SMTP themselves by contracting SMTP out to gmail. Google provids to them free email services in exchange allowing it to parse through emails to find better advertizing data. However, since gmail only runs on SSL encrypted basis, it does not work for WebControl.

Back