EOL with NO or NC

jab

I have an Elk M1G panel. Most of my sensors are NC door and window hardwired sensors. I wired an EOL resistor in series with the zone wire at the senor. I programmed the zone to EOL. Works good, no complaints.

I wired a panic button defined as 23=Police Alarm NO with a EOL resistor in parallel and set the zone to EOL and it worked fine.

I understand from the label on the M1G and the manual that a zone programmed as EOL can have NC contact with the EOL resistor in series or NO contact with EOL resistor in parallel. I then made a chart of the resistance or voltage the panel would see under the 4 conditions and compared NC - EOL with NO - EOL and can't for the life of me figure out how both of those works with the panel.

NC - EOL 2.2kohm in series
Normal Condition: contacts closed panel sees 2.2kohm 7.1V
Alarm Condition: contacts open panel sees infinite resistance 13.6V
Shorted Wires: panel sees short 0V
Open Wires: panel see infinite 13.6

I tested this with one zone that was set to EOL and connected to a NC - EOL and found an Open and Alarm Condition were both reported as Violated, that makes sense. I then shorted the zone input to common at the panel and the status showed 0V but it was also reported as Violated, that I would have expected to show as Trouble. This zone was configured as Burglary Perimeter. Maybe it depends what the zone definition is as to whether a short or open on an EOL zone is reported as trouble vs. violated?

NO - EOL 2.2kohm in parallel
Normal Condition: contacts open panel sees 2.2kohm 7.1V
Alarm Condition: contacts closed panel sees short 0V
Shorted Wires: panel sees short 0V
Open Wires: panel see infinite 13.6V

If I can wire either way leaving the zone definition set to EOL how does the panel tell the difference between normal and voilated on NC - EOL vs. NO - EOL zones? For NC - EOL panel sees infinited resistance (13.6V) when the zone is violated but for NO - EOL the panel sees a short (0V) for a violated zone.

What am I missing here?

I don't have a lot of first-hand experience on this, but the manual seems to explain it - 4.0-8.8 volts is considered normal; above or below results in a violated state. It doesn't seem to separate tamper.

It looks like the only time the panel will report tamper is on a 4-state zone.

Back