Extend Cable between M1xep and M1 Gold

ratfood

Hello everyone.

I am a bit of a noob this is my first install and I would like to install the M1XEP in my crawlspace with all the computer / networking gear and put the alarm system upstairs where the old one was. I have 2 4 conductor cables running to the crawlspace (thanks to previous person) I Know that rs232 only uses 3 cables and is normally good for more than 100 ft. I am wondering what the pin out is and is there a limit in distance? I calculate the distance from crawl space to top floor is about 25 to 35 ft.

Can anyone shed some light. I have tried to hook up the regular rs232 cable and got no joy I will check the cabling and make sure I got it right.

thanks

Rat

Welcome to CocoonTech!

I built a custom cable using phone cord myself, pretty sure I am only using 3 wires. That said, long distances only work with slower speeds, and I believe the XEP might connect @ 115kbps (my run is only 3 feet).

Welcome to CocoonTech!

I built a custom cable using phone cord myself, pretty sure I am only using 3 wires. That said, long distances only work with slower speeds, and I believe the XEP might connect @ 115kbps (my run is only 3 feet).
Thanks for the quick reply Obviously I have done something wrong.... do you have the pin out that you used? is it the same one in the front of the manual?

thanks again

I'm not sure of the Elk, but most RS 232 9-Pin D connectors use pins 2, 3, & 5 being transmit, receive, and ground. Depending on the hardware pins 2 and 3 either need to be 'straight through' on the cable or "crossed". I would try straight through (pin 2 to 2, 3 to 3, 5 to 5 first) If "crossed" is needed it would be pin 2 to 3, 3 to 2, and 5 to 5.

Also, if you have existing Cat5e run in your home, you may want to use THESE RJ-45 to 9-Pin D adapters for incorporate the serial run over those existing cables.

Just put the XEP near the panel and run an ethernet cable there. You have computers in other areas of the house, this could be considered one of them.

RS-232 has an official max distance of 50 feet, and you need to have twisted pair to do it. However, in practice, many vendors make the limit 10 feet at 9600 baud because of external interference causing problems. Some of the network gear I deal with uses RS-232 for state sync between redundant units, and you cannot use more than a 10 foot cable. I've tried it, with a cable made to spec, and they WILL act flaky in some situations.

I'm not sure of the Elk, but most RS 232 9-Pin D connectors use pins 2, 3, & 5 being transmit, receive, and ground. Depending on the hardware pins 2 and 3 either need to be 'straight through' on the cable or "crossed". I would try straight through (pin 2 to 2, 3 to 3, 5 to 5 first) If "crossed" is needed it would be pin 2 to 3, 3 to 2, and 5 to 5.

you are right I found out that the adapters (with screw terminals on them) have a wierd pin out that does not make any sense ... wont buy those again.)

Thanks for the help..

FYI for everyone else it is as BraveSirRobin states 2-2 3-3 5-5

thanks again

you are right I found out that the adapters (with screw terminals on them) have a wierd pin out that does not make any sense ... wont buy those again.)

Thanks for the help..

FYI for everyone else it is as BraveSirRobin states 2-2 3-3 5-5

thanks again
Yes BSR is correct, this is my current cable and RJ45 to DB9 adapter. I dont use serial cables to connect to the M1 but I use a Cat6e patch cord with this adapter connected to a serial to usb adapter (not needed for your case), its a straight through connection not crossed.

Attachments

• IMG_5962.jpg
    IMG_5962.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 9
While we are on this topic, here is a little trick I use to get multiple serial runs from on Cat5e run. The adapters I mention above will have extra wires as one serial line only uses three conductors. I then routed the unused lines out of the side of the connector, soldered extension cable on those lines, then soldered two more 9-Pin D adapters on those ends. Since I used a eight serial expansion port, all of the pin 5 grounds are the same, so I just double up on a ground for two of the serial runs.

This has worked great as I had a Cat5e existing run from my wiring closet to my HA computer. ;)

Back