Faceplate for ELK arming station?

signal15

I have a couple of the ELK arming stations that mount in a single gang box and use a Decora style plate for a cover. The arming station sticks up a tiny bit too high, and I can't find any plates with enough depth to mount flush with no gap against the wall.

What are people using? I guess I could grind down the plastic on the arming station around where the screws for the plate go through, but I'd rather not have to resort to surgery on it.

I picked up one of the plates that mounts with screws, and then a cover snaps onto it, but that still has a 1/16" gap between the wall and the plate.

Is the j-box absolutely flush with the wall? Is the box plastic or metal? How about going the other way and taking 1/6" off of the drywall and box so the arming station starts a little deeper? I was going to mention the screwless plates at first but you said you tried that already.

The box is nearly flush with the wall. It's a remodel box, so it sticks up barely 1/32". I cannot recess the box any farther by cutting away sheetrock, because there is a structural support very close to the back of the keypad.

I was talking about shaving off a bit from the drywall AND that side of the box. But I agree, its bad design if you have to do all this to get a switch to fit right.

Since it's a retro ring/box, can you tighten the 'wings' more to squeeze the drywall further? Sometimes when I overtighten the wings, the ring sinks a little deeper into the drywall surface.

Seems like you need to get the keypad face further toward the back of the wall - correct?

The wings are tightened to the point where the box is just about to deform. It appears the arming station was made with the intent that it would be placed into a slightly recessed box.

my new construction home has all boxes sitting recessed behind the sheetrock...it's actually a bit of a pain since the switches all support against the sheetrock instead of the box and sometimes the sheetrock crumbles leaving nothing to support the switch.

Back