Fiber vs Copper for databus?

sbwright

We've finished building a new home and are getting ready to relocate our ELK security panel to the house from a detached garage. There is currently a sub panel installed in the detached garage with all the pertinent equipment and it will remain. We are pulling fiber between the 2 buildings as all our utilities/communications cables enter via the detached garage. There will be spares available.

Question is has anyone here used fiber in place of copper for the ELK batabus?

Thanks,
Brian 

It's been a couple years since I've heard much on this, but what I remember was that a few people had attempted to extend the databus in various ways (including fiber), but to date, none of these methods have been successful per Elk's own Spanky - their very knowledgeable tech who used to frequent these forums.

Here's an old thread I remember about it - Spanky does indicate that they're evaluating fiber options, and that was 9 years ago - so maybe they did eventually figure something out?   http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/15021-elk-m1rb-and-rs-485-data-bus/

Work2Play said:
Reading through Spanky's comments, it almost looks like this would work - but testing it is beyond my capabilities right now (I don't even have an M1 right now - need to order it!).

https://www.serialcomm.com/fiber_optic_converters/media_converter/rs232_rs485_rs422_to_fiber_optic_sm/rs232_rs485_rs422_to_fiber_optic_sm.product_general_info.aspx
I have a pair of Black Box Media converters to sell you if you are interested. Never installed 100MBit. Can't remember the fibre type or spec but commercial quality units. I will never use them.
If you are interested send me a PM and I can dig them out and get specs etc.. 

In the early days of networking (1990's) used black box solutions for logistics in automotive assembly plants (printers) and airline freight warehouses extending this or that with copper. 

Using fiber will work now a days just fine.

LarryLix - thx for the offer; there's likely others around who'd have more use (awesome way to connect outbuildings!).  I know I actually have a pair around here as well, and my switches are all fiber capable.

Ironically, this house I just bought was actually prewired with Fiber that wasn't terminated.  I may actually terminate and use it just to keep the Cat5 free.  Just a couple runs like to the office, entertainment center, and I'm not sure of the 3rd run yet...

I have been working the same issue for the Leviton/HAI databus.   I plan to buy a couple of those RS485 media converters and try it.   Should have an answer in a few weeks.

I have already spent dozens of hours and over $1000 on lightning damage repair.      I have lightning arrestors on both ends of my data bus, but I am not comfortable that they will protect me because the earth ground is too far away from my automation boxes.   Hoping that going to fiber will work.

Work2Play said:
Reading through Spanky's comments, it almost looks like this would work - but testing it is beyond my capabilities right now (I don't even have an M1 right now - need to order it!).

https://www.serialcomm.com/fiber_optic_converters/media_converter/rs232_rs485_rs422_to_fiber_optic_sm/rs232_rs485_rs422_to_fiber_optic_sm.product_general_info.aspx

Thanks Work2Play for the links to the old threads and hardware. Once the cable is pulled in I'll order the boxes and begin testing. Will feedback results here.

rockinarmadillo said:
I have been working the same issue for the Leviton/HAI databus.   I plan to buy a couple of those RS485 media converters and try it.   Should have an answer in a few weeks.

I have already spent dozens of hours and over $1000 on lightning damage repair.      I have lightning arrestors on both ends of my data bus, but I am not comfortable that they will protect me because the earth ground is too far away from my automation boxes.   Hoping that going to fiber will work.

Good luck rock, looking forward to hearing your results.

Success!   It was very close to plug and play.  

I used a pre-terminated multi mode fiber from the house to the garage (pulled thru conduit about 300 ft)   

I bought a SER-FIBER-MM modem for both ends.

I used the power supply on the Omni pro II alarm panel to power the modem at both ends.   The fiber modem comes with a 12v power supply that I did not use.   If you use that one, be sure to tie the panel ground to the negative on the power supply.   They need to have a common reference voltage.

It did not work at first, but then I reversed the two fibers and it started working immediately.   I never seem to get the fiber polarity right the first time.

Tie the panel data bus A to the modem T+/D+  and the panel data bus B to the modem T-/D-

I will monitor to assure that the connection is reliable, but it looks rock solid at this point.

Back