Finally a reason for a camera

Funny how i was always intimidated by my house when it came to cabling.

All great ideas, thanks. Time to do some more research.

Here too utilized the original construction drawings post construction for much of the cabling efforts in one home.

RobNJ said:
Funny how i was always intimidated by my house when it came to cabling.

All great ideas, thanks. Time to do some more research.
The key to a raised ranch is knowing where the furnace, utility room, closets and their relation to the floor joists and the ceiling/floor. Usually the toughest spot is getting up and over from underneath the stairs to what is inevitably a bathroom, laundry, or furnace room opposite the stairs on the basement level. The next toughest spot is anything over a finished garage, assuming you're not running wire through the garage ceiling. The biggest lesson people forget is the entry foyer and how the walls below, the joists and the studs of the floor above all intermingle and the heights that are go/no go to allow snaking.

I usually felt RR's were more "push/pulling" wiring sideways or across things than pure electrical snaking.

Back to this thread for my camera questions.  Preference for Dome vs. Bullet and when to use which?  Is it just a matter of more adjustments for the dome?

Comparing similar resolution domes and bullets for example:
Bullet:  https://www.surveillance-video.com/media/lanot/attachments/customimport/DS-2CD2632F-I.pdf
Dome: https://www.surveillance-video.com/media/lanot/attachments/customimport/DS-2CD2732F-I.pdf

Essentially the same guts in a different housing.  The bullet has an edge on IR range by 10m.  Maybe due to the arrangement of the emitters?

Also, I see a step up model that is also varifocal with a motorized lens.  I guess this is kind of like a poor mans PTZ with just the "Z".  Would this be worth the step up or is the focal length just something you traditionally set and forget?

Generally once you have the varifocal set up, you rarely have to touch. The lenses do sometimes creep and need refocusing.

Bullets tend to do better with IR's BC they don't have the dome to contend with (reflectivity). Usually the bullet vs. dome can come down to the need for a sunscreen, weather or angle/mount. A lot of times, it really comes down to preference and what sort of footprint you can work with

RobNJ said:
Back to this thread for my camera questions.  Preference for Dome vs. Bullet and when to use which?  Is it just a matter of more adjustments for the dome?

Comparing similar resolution domes and bullets for example:
Bullet:  https://www.surveillance-video.com/media/lanot/attachments/customimport/DS-2CD2632F-I.pdf
Dome: https://www.surveillance-video.com/media/lanot/attachments/customimport/DS-2CD2732F-I.pdf

Essentially the same guts in a different housing.  The bullet has an edge on IR range by 10m.  Maybe due to the arrangement of the emitters?

Also, I see a step up model that is also varifocal with a motorized lens.  I guess this is kind of like a poor mans PTZ with just the "Z".  Would this be worth the step up or is the focal length just something you traditionally set and forget?

The issue with this is how the view will change when the motorized lens is used - specifically how your filters are setup for motion detection. Generally speaking, your filters will be WAY off once you zoom that camera one way or another.

Since the camera is fixed, it's FOV is going to be fixed, so really, in actuality, what is the point of actively moving the zoom/focus portion of the camera for any reason but maintenance purposes. If you want a PTZ, you buy a PTZ. If you want a large coverage without a PTZ, you buy a fixed lens or a fisheye/panamorph MP camera and dewarp via software or multiple streams.

The purpose of a motorized lens is to simplify maintenance and initial setup, not be used to fix design criteria. The motors are not robust enough to support this; look at the construction of a PTZ vs. a camera with motorized zoom and focus. Huge difference.

>We did get a few Amazon packages

More than likely, the guy in white truck was from “LaserShip.” Amazon uses a third-party shipper to deliver packages. Their drivers use regular cars and no uniforms. Sometimes, they will deliver packages after 7PM. This freaks me out too. If you search Interweb, you will see lots of complaints about Amazon/LaserShip. 

Back