First time safe install

wkearney99 said:
If you're gung-ho about attaching something, have something welded onto it.  I have to wonder just what kind of heroic attempts you think are going to be perpetrated on it to warrant such things, but that's your decision.

I can weld myself but the wheels already have holes in them so it isn't necessary. These are heavy steel wheels.

Mike.

wkearney99 said:
The point being if you want to have the added security of having a safe you'd probably want to choose a location that's not going to make it glaringly obvious to the thieves.  Or to anyone else that might come through the space (contractors, delivery, cleaners, etc).  

Where would you suggest given the situation that I have described?

wkearney99 said:
This is when I start thinking "and why do you continue to live where this is such an issue"? Me, I'd have moved long before entertaining some of the security notions I sometimes see posted. Don't get me wrong, but sometimes I think people get their shorts bunched up way too tight and overdo the security expenses.

That's a very narrow minded point of view. Not everyone is in YOUR life situation. I have many reasons that I love my home beyond where I can put a safe.

Mike.

Oh please, it's not narrow-minded, enough with that.  

I just boggle at the ridiculous lengths some folks go to for 'security' sometimes.  Not just this particular situation, so don't take offense.

wkearney99 said:
Oh please, it's not narrow-minded, enough with that.  

I just boggle at the ridiculous lengths some folks go to for 'security' sometimes.  Not just this particular situation, so don't take offense.

No offense taken, really. I'm trying to point out that it's a big world out there and there are many different situations. "Narrow minded"  was not meant as an insult, I'm saying that you're only considering your own situation. What seems to be a no-brainer to you in your life may be completely wrong for me. I post here to hear from others because I tend to think narrowly myself sometimes. Two heads are better than one and the more the merrier.

Why do you consider installing a lag bolt in a stud to be a ridiculous length to go to? I could just wheel the thing in and drop it on the floor and be done with it. That would over time leave dents in the hardwood floor and be easy to carry away. I'm in no hurry and am looking to go a step better than quick and dirty.

The lag bolt wouldn't take much effort and it would slow down a thief. When you remove the safe a little taping compound and paint will fix the hole. It's common practice to secure a safe if possible and with this one being a little light I think it's a good idea. Two big guys could pick it up and move it and I could do it my self with a good hand truck. A safe is going to draw attention to itself no matter where i put it if there is a thief tearing through the place.

Mike.

Back