Food Recipes - Passing time while automating

Yep, pork shoulder (boston butt) is great on a smoker.  Mine gets a spice rub the night before (or longer).  Then it's onto the BGE for around 8-10 hours between 215-250F until it hits 195-210F.  

Note, there can be a 'stall' period when it gets to around 160F.  This is where the meat is cooking out the last of it's internal moisture.  The stall can take anywhere between an hour and I've seen as long as 2.  This can be maddeningly frustrating if you have dinner scheduled...  One work-around is to wrap it (really SEALED) inside tinfoil when it hits 160F.  This will help keep the moisture in the meat and quicken the stall.  At this point I also jack up the temp a bit to around 300F.  The BGE does a remarkable job of keeping the temp stable.  During my all-days smokes I leave the bottom vent open only a 1/2" and the top daisy just a tiny sliver of the vent holes.  

Note, the moisture of a piece like a shoulder returns when all the connective tissue (fat, etc) breaks down.  This diffuses back into the meat leaving it moist and tender.   So when it hits 195-210F you want to take it off the heat and LET IT REST for AT LEAST a half-hour, if not more.  Preferably in a cooler or other container.  Not just on the air-conditioning chilled kitchen counter.  One of mine, left wrapped in the foil, held it's temp for a good 45 minutes before starting to drop.  This gave it plenty of time to thoroughly melt all the fat inside.  When I went to remove the bone it came out with literally NO effort at all.  

Then get some Bear Paw claws to shred the meat.  

The only downside to the foil is it can tend to soften the exterior 'bark' of the roast a bit.  This is a non-issue if you're doing pulled pork.  But if you're doing a brisket or something else that benefits from a tougher bark (or you want to show it off) you might just have to endure the stall.

Looking to give the smoker that I have a try.

I know this thread is unrelated to Automation.  I would though like to find a remote oven style wireless temperature sensor.

Does one exists?  I found a wireless meat temperature sensor.  Is there one though that can be utilized inside the grill or smoker?

Found out yesterday that my sister in law tried my pot roast recipe and didn't like it.  Its really simple and different as I use wine.

I have another recipe similiar but for pork roast instead of beef roast that uses beer.   (well and want to add slow cooking bratwurst in beer on the grill).

pete_c said:
Looking to give the smoker that I have a try.

I know this thread is unrelated to Automation.  I would though like to find a remote oven style wireless temperature sensor.

Does one exists?  I found a wireless meat temperature sensor.  Is there one though that can be utilized inside the grill or smoker?

Found out yesterday that my sister in law tried my pot roast recipe and didn't like it.  Its really simple and different as I use wine.

I have another recipe similiar but for pork roast instead of beef roast that uses beer.   (well and want to add slow cooking bratwurst in beer on the grill).

The Maverick 732 thermometer that wkearny99 mentioned earlier has two probes, one for the meat and one for the temperature inside the oven/grill. It has a remote that you can wear on your belt or just put in the house with you and you can set high and low temperature alarms for both meat and oven. I have the same and like it very much.

Mike.

I prefer to include automation in my cooking.   :)   I use an automation controller for my smoker, brewing system, fermenters and kegerator.  I developed my own touchscreen control for running the brew day.

All liquid flow is controlled by automated ball valves and gas flow is by solenoid valves with electronic ignition.  There are temp probes for each vessel plus the plate chiller.

BCS-Desktop.png

Brew_Stand_0.jpg

BeerBoard2.jpg

pete_c said:
Thank you Mike.  Currently wife does pulled pork in a slow cooker for some 8-12 hours. 

Bell's slow cooker pulled pork

How do you do this with a smoker?
Basically you rub the meat with a dry rub and cook at about 225 - 250 degrees until the internal temperature is 190 degrees. Take it off the fire, pull it apart and enjoy. Like I said earlier I save a little dry rub and sprinkle it on the meat immediately after pulling.

Here's a link to another youtube video. It's the same guy from bbqtalk.ca that did the rib video above, I think he does a good job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFO3TJ27m6w

You will find loads of pork rub recipes if you search the net and you can look at the ingredients and see that many are similar. I believe that this is the rub that I used the last time which was about six months ago. I also think that I got this recipe from the guy in the video.

10 lb boston butt pulled pork
210 - 270 degrees
minimum 11 hours
remove when meat temp 190+

- 1/2 cup salt

- 1/2 cup Turbinado sugar  (subbed 1/4cup  white sugar)
- 1/4 cup granulated brown sugar (subbed 1/2cup brown sugar)

- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne

- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

I see a pulled pork in my near future.

Thank you Desert_AIP.

Your post reminded me to post wife's chile recipe from her mom done in the 1960's

pete_c said:
Thank-you for the recipe Mike. 
I caught up on yard work today and have inlaw duties tomorrow but just talking about the pulled pork is making me need to do one very soon, I hope this week. Try it, you'll like it.

Thanks for the RFXcom link.  I'm definitely interested in being able to pickup the temps and monitor them over time.  Meanwhile the Maverick rocks!

RE RFX.com

I think that there is such a thing as too much automation and BBQ should involve at least a little bit of sitting with the grill and drinking a beer.

Mike.

Yup; sometimes it's a bit much. 

We cooked outside on the grill yesterday afternoon; a bit cool here in the Midwest. 

That said I was a bit warm and chilled out pouring a glass of beer in a glass of ice cubes.  The beer still wasn't cold enough for me.

pete_c said:
Yup; sometimes it's a bit much.  We cooked outside on the grill yesterday; a bit cool here in the Midwest. 

That said I was a bit warm and chilled out pouring a glass of beer in a glass of ice cubes.  The beer still wasn't cold enough for me.
My first experience with beer on the rocks was back in the seventies when I went on a dump run with a friend after doing some yard work. It was hot and sweaty and on the way back we stopped into his local joint and he ordered two of his usual. His usual was a mug of beer over crushed ice. With all that ice in the mug you can throw it down in a couple of gulps and be off and running again. At first I thought it was weird but man that was a nice cold fast one.

Ah the good old days, it's funny the things that you remember.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
 think that there is such a thing as too much automation and BBQ should involve at least a little bit of sitting with the grill and drinking a beer.

Sure, but when doing long smokes on new equipment it helps to know what's going on.  Especially when I noticed that the wind picking up tended to disrupt the temperature.  The Egg does a great job of maintaining temps, largely without having to fiddle with it.  

But the new house, patio and fence layout seems to have a bit of a wind tunnel effect.  So being able to log both the wind speed and temp data would be interesting.  I'm considering setting up more than one anemometer to see if the wind is actually higher back on the patio.  I'm planning on doing an outdoor kitchen and if the wind's that much of a problem I might have to set things up differently.  You wouldn't think it'd matter...

That and while I certainly enjoy my beverages, it's not like I'm going to sit around all day drinking for a 12 hour smoked pork shoulder.

Back