Food Recipes - Passing time while automating

Very nice Mike!

Wife cooked up Chicken Vesuvio here on Sunday.  She has mastered it these days.

Temps this morning were in the low 40's here.  Looks like summer has passed in the blink of an eye. (must be my age).

Haven't tried any of the new stuff mentioned above.  I want to hopefully before the first snow.

That said it was two days of outdoor grilling in great weather and being a sous-chef DIYing automobile stuff.

I removed most of the front end piece of my car engine while waiting for the head chef to service the inner sanctum of the engine stuff.

Similar to following a receipt reading or on you tube; step by step process; easy peasy; well and friend head chef wore white gloves.

pete_c said:
Haven't tried any of the new stuff mentioned above.  I want to hopefully before the first snow.

That said it was two days of outdoor grilling in great weather and being a sous-chef DIYing automobile stuff.

I removed most of the front end piece of my car engine while waiting for the head chef to service the inner sanctum of the engine stuff.

Similar to following a receipt reading or on you tube; step by step process; easy peasy; well and friend head chef wore white gloves.
Pete:

What are you up to with the car? I worked as a mechanic in a prior life and do a lot of my own work. I have some old cars and a bike here that I still do some work on but I try to stick to the light stuff nowadays.

Mike.

Edit

I bbq all winter. We don't get the snow that you do in the mid west but we do get cold. The bbq helps with the cabin fever.

Mike.

Mike,

Always liked goofing around with cars.  Girlfriend in HS got me into cars. Saturday night dates related to rebuilding cars.

Family raced cars.  Wasn't much of a date though cuz her whole family was always there.

Back in the 90's one of my IT endeavors related to the integration of computers with automobile assembly and mixing Microsoft SQL and AS400's relating to the "build" of the cars at the assembly plants. (Ford, GM, Chrylser and BMW).  I was privy to get involved in new builds from soup to nuts; neato stuff to watch.  PITA though that I would have to walk "the assembly" lines about twice a week during the initial start ups.  It was all about how fast the car could get built back then.  Tested and used RFID tags switching over from bar codes back then which helped me a bunch cuz I needed to know the exact position of the car on the line at a specific time.

I have an old now 2001 E46 330XI.  Its been mostly sitting since purchase in 2001.  Well it has 30k miles on it. Two weeks ago decided to change the belts and tensioners.  Took about one hour.  Watched a few You Tube videos beforehand.

All was well for 3 days of driving it.  Then the water pump pulley shattered.  Both belts turned to mincemeat.  The plastic pulley disintegrated.  I wasn't driving fast when it happened. It did sound like a little explosion though.  I flat bed towed the car to my home and yesterday put two new belts and a new metal water pump pulley.

waterpumpulley.jpg

Initially replaced parts H,B and C plus the belts. 

The belts were OK and I was getting a little bit of squeaking from one the upper tensioner labeled c (age?)

Part A (water pump pulley) is made out of plastic and replaced it with an aluminum one.

Note: thinking the plastic cracked with age rather than use and the new tensioners might have done this?

It was a pita looking for all of the little pieces of plastic from the water pump pulley shattering.  

All is well now, car purrs like a kitten.  It is a little pocket rocket.. The plastic pulley did have little cracks in what was left of it.

Car is a bit modded and but I keep it simple.   That said I did find some persons name and date written inside of the recesses of the automobile that must have been involved in the build of it which sort of freaked me out.

I try to BBQ in the winter if I can.

I grew up in a family of gear-heads and drag racing cars and bikes. I've worked as a machinist, toolmaker and auto mechanic in the 70's before going back to school and becoming a computer geek.

That's Beemer is a nice little car. My wife inherited a 2005 SL500 with 23k miles from her father and it has an occasional whining sound that I think is coming from the front of the engine. Probably going to have to look into that before too long. I'm thinking an idler pulley or maybe alternator bearing.

I also have a pick up truck that has a similar history to your car. It's a 2003 Nissan Frontier that I bought new. It has 35k miles now and will soon need some attention. The only work that I've done to the truck is to replace the exhaust with a stainless Magnaflow exhaust and to replace front brake pads. It will soon need timing belt and the incidentals that go with that. I won't be doing it myself though. I had a series of abdominal surgeries that have made it very uncomfortable to lean over a fender for that length of time.

I changed the engine in my old Camaro two years ago and I vowed that it was my last engine change. It's just all getting too physical for this old body. If I knew I was going to live this long......

Mike.

Yup we have a 1998 E300 TD sitting in a garage in Florida with some 40k miles on it.  Runs well still.

Dad just drove cars but never maintained them.  That said I did change a transmission  / clutch on my 60's Triumph once in the 60's and dad help me put it back in the automobile.  It was pita but it was easy.  Funny that I had been playing with the car and had popped the clutch and tore up the transmission afterwards; well and shattered the clutch plate on the car.

I learned the most from the MB forums and guru mechanics who actually could just listen to the automobile and do diagnostics on it not even touching the car.

Its a well built and gets some 500 miles on a fuel tank of diesel.  I have played with it over the years.  The diesel engine is built to literally last forever on these cars.

It was very low on the WAF one day when I took the mass air flow sensor out and put it in the dishwasher there.

I changed the engine in my old Camaro two years ago and I vowed that it was my last engine change. It's just all getting too physical for this old body. If I knew I was going to live this long......

Friend that helped me with my car came over in his '67 Firebird.  He drives the car ever summer (well now for the last 15 years or so).

I liked a car I purchased in the 90's so much (like an old shoe) I replaced the motor on it  with a newer one after a bit.   It cost more to do this than probably what the car was worth though.  I went and purchased another car with no miles on it that had been totaled and took that engine out for my use.  The car had close to 300k when I finally sold it (and I didn't want to).

I initially tried to get the car from Japan via Canada as I liked the motor a bit better.

pete_c said:
Yup we have a 1998 E300 TD sitting in a garage in Florida with some 40k miles on it.  Runs well still.

Dad just drove cars but never maintained them.  That said I did change a transmission  / clutch on my 60's Triumph once in the 60's and dad help me put it back in the automobile.  It was pita but it was easy.  Funny that I had been playing with the car and had popped the clutch and tore up the transmission afterwards; well and shattered the clutch plate on the car.

I learned the most from the MB forums and guru mechanics who actually could just listen to the automobile and do diagnostics on it not even touching the car.

Its a well built and gets some 500 miles on a fuel tank of diesel.  I have played with it over the years.  The diesel engine is built to literally last forever on these cars.

It was very low on the WAF one day when I took the mass air flow sensor out and put it in the dishwasher there.

Friend that helped me with my car came over in his '67 Firebird.  He drives the car ever summer (well now for the last 15 years or so).

I liked a car I purchased in the 90's so much (like an old shoe) I replaced the motor on it  with a newer one after a bit.   It cost more to do this than probably what the car was worth though.  I went and purchased another car with no miles on it that had been totaled and took that engine out for my use.  The car had close to 300k when I finally sold it (and I didn't want to).

I initially tried to get the car from Japan via Canada as I liked the motor a bit better.
Yeah they do become like an old shoe, I've often thought that I would love to have back all of the cars that I've owned through the years. It would be a blast to drive my first Honda motorcycle or my 1968 convertible Karmann Ghia.

I've had the 68 Camaro since 1987. I repaired all the rust replacing most of the sheet metal, re-ringed the engine and drove it in gray epoxy  primer for about 20 years. A few years ago my wife pushed me to have the body finished professionally. The body man did a great job and I re-assembled the car with new interior and some other details. Shortly afterwards I had the engine rebuilt professionally and now it's almost too nice to drive. But I DO drive it. It's a convertible and at the end of a long day it's a great attitude adjustment to go out and put a few miles on it.

Mike.

Yup you should drive your 68 Camaro and enjoy it. 

Mostly drove the bimmer with the car club stuff over the years.  That and we have a little track nearby where the club does have meetings and plays with.  First time I drove the track was playing with a new M5.  They had spotters on all of the curves and I kept getting yelled at for not slowing down.  Very neato nice fast car.  Guess I was just wanting to see how fast I could hit a curb without breaking the car.   Interesting that the track is in a private home subdivision with homes built for gearheads only.

cartest.jpgcartest2.jpgacc.jpg

it has an occasional whining sound that I think is coming from the front of the engine. Probably going to have to look into that before too long. I'm thinking an idler pulley or maybe alternator bearing.

I used a stethoscope / piece of wood and a water spray bottle to see which tensioner was squeaking on the E46.  Replaced everything more as an exercise and learning thing.

Removing all them; they looked new; but turning them there was one that squeaked a little bit.  I am still wondering why they would use a plastic water pump pulley (design flaw?).  The rest of the pulleys are metal.

SFPLImage125063.jpg

Rock-paper-scissors

Unrelating to cooking and or automation....

Attached is a picture of the plastic water pump pulley remains.  Personally why I like metal over plastic for certain stuff.

There are stress cracks visible on the side that faces the engine. 

The two belts got instantly shredded (1-2 seconds?) and I used a little needle nose pliers to fish out the little pieces of plastic water pump pulley every where. 

Main clutch fan (plastic) has marks and gouges on it from the flying debris; it still works though.  I didn't see any damage to the radiator (that and its not leaking) such that fan blocked the shattering pieces.

The picking out of little plastic pieces and chunks of the plastic water pump pulley took longer than anything else done that morning.  There were a couple pieces of plastic wedged into the alternator near by.

The replacement water pump pulley is aluminum.  Reasonably priced. 

The "performance" perfectly machined aluminum water pulley price though was greater than $100 = > $300.

waterpumppulley.jpg

pete_c said:
 Personally why I like metal over plastic for certain stuff.

Dang, all the spinning tension of the belt must have just utterly mangled the pieces as they failed.  Lucky it didn't wreck everything else nearby.

I'm sure there's a cost/weight ratio for using plastic (better mileage, lower cost, etc), but it does seem like metal would be a better choice for such a constant-duty component like a water pump.

pete_c said:
Yup you should drive your 68 Camaro and enjoy it. 

Interesting that the track is in a private home subdivision with homes built for gearheads only.
That's what I call Garage Mahal
pete_c said:
I used a stethoscope / piece of wood and a water spray bottle to see which tensioner was squeaking on the E46.
I usually use the longest screwdriver or bar that I can find.
pete_c said:
Removing all them; they looked new; but turning them there was one that squeaked a little bit.  I am still wondering why they would use a plastic water pump pulley (design flaw?).  The rest of the pulleys are metal.
Makes me remember when Chevy went from a steel timing gear to a plastic one in the 60's. I believe it was becasue the plastic was quieter(and I'm sure cheaper).
pete_c said:

Snowed this past weekend here in the midwest.

Looking at redoing a couple of outdoor automation things before more snow comes.

Went to making Chop Suey; wife's old family recipe from the 1960's on Sunday. 

Made in the same aluminum pot that wife's mom made it in the 60's.

Will post receipe here.

===>

Next car endeavor - procrastinating - changing windows regulator - changed two of these so far - one on E46 and one on E300TD.  The one on the 1998 E300TD was a PITA as the window dropped while sitting in the garage not driven.  Regulator was riveted in and car had some 35K when this happened.

Ugh, I hate regulators.  ESPECIALLY ones in frame-less doors like the wife's old VW Cabrio.  The glass never does seem to line up again properly.

Was it the regulator or the motor?  Or are they one component?  35k is pretty early for one to fail, someone using drive-up windows and such a lot more than typical?

Its the regulator.  It is one piece and the motor is another (motor will last longer than the vehicle).

Starting also to "hear" noise now from the E83 which I do not want to deal with yet.   The telltale sound is a crunching when lowering the window.

The MB one is a very similiar plastic and metal contraption.  Only thing that bugged me was that it was riveted to the door.
I am now recalling that it was hard to find one of these (E300TD) when purchased new; only found one in one dealership in the midwest at the time.  Today it still gets 500 miles plus on one tank of diesel.  Had the gas powered one too which was fast but a gas guzzler.

Its like they made thinking that it would last forever and basically I am guessing that the garage kept automobile stuff fell apart from the heat?

In the 80's had two Audi's and a Scirocco and put some 200k miles on each. 

Windows motors / regulators never failed me on those.

Attachments

• E46-WindowsRegulator.jpg
    E46-WindowsRegulator.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 3
pete_c said:
Next car endeavor - procrastinating - changing windows regulator - changed two of these so far - one on E46 and one on E300TD.  The one on the 1998 E300TD was a PITA as the window dropped while sitting in the garage not driven.  Regulator was riveted in and car had some 35K when this happened.
Pete

I have re-assembled a couple of cars and the windows can be tough to get aligned properly and cranking smoothly. It takes tones of patience. I had to buy a pop rivet tool that was capable of installing 1/4" rivets when I replaced my 1984 Lincoln window motor. The handles on the tool are about two feet long!

What often happens in old cars is that the plastic wheel rollers in the regulator wear or break making it impossible to adjust. This is sometimes hard to detect until you remove the parts from the door.

Good luck, Mike.

Back