Food Recipes - Passing time while automating

Yup; here we do BBQ during the winter.

That said I have shoveled over to the "other" side of the deck where the grill is at and made a snow free area.

I have though considered automating the creation of the path a few times over the last few years.

Decided to move all of the plants in this week though. 

We didn't have any frost though when it snowed on Saturday; but its probably time even though its a bit early this year.

One little tree pot is a PITA weighing now some > 200lbs.

Desert_AIP said:
How do you like that snow blower?
I've got an X320 and a 500' driveway and have been looking very hard at that bit of kit.

I love it, it's a BEAST! It's the 47" model.

The blower was left in a field to rust and I bought and restored it. I stripped it, had it bead blasted and painted it with 2 part primer and topcoat. It was a simple restore with all of 5 bearings and 1 chain to replace and ended up costing less than half the price of new. Last winter was my first season with it.

The tractor is an x728 Deere , 27hp gas engine with all wheel drive and it will climb a snow bank at 45 degrees or so....probably steeper than I want to ride it.

Mike.

Very nice Mike!

Here just utilize a one stage snowblower / service when it gets bad.  Friend on a farm uses a regular tractor to clear the snow.

Thinking it would not be worth carrying the snowblower up to the deck to clear a path.

mikefamig said:
I love it, it's a BEAST! It's the 47" model.

The blower was left in a field to rust and I bought and restored it. I stripped it, had it bead blasted and painted it with 2 part primer and topcoat. It was a simple restore with all of 5 bearings and 1 chain to replace and ended up costing less than half the price of new. Last winter was my first season with it.

The tractor is an x728 Deere , 27hp gas engine with all wheel drive and it will climb a snow bank at 45 degrees or so....probably steeper than I want to ride it.

Mike.

Good find!
It looks great in that photo, nice restore job.

I'd be limited to the 40" with my smaller tractor.
I have a fairly gentle slope.
Still it beats a walk behind or (ugh!) shovelling.

Desert_AIP said:
Good find!
It looks great in that photo, nice restore job.

I'd be limited to the 40" with my smaller tractor.
I have a fairly gentle slope.
Still it beats a walk behind or (ugh!) shovelling.

A word of warning, if you get the blower you should buy a good ski suit to go with it. It puts so much show in the air that you will get soaked if you don't have waterproof clothing. I wear ski pants, ski jacket and goggles.

We built a new detached garage a couple of years ago and ended up with about 200' of driveway and a 30x50 parking area. In the first winter (2011-2012) I had my truck stuck in the garage behind two feet of snow and had to dig it out with a 1968 24" Ariens snow thrower. It took two days. I seriously considered renting a car.

By that spring I owned the 2009 John Deere tractor and bought and restored the blower that summer. Now I look forward to the snow.

Mike.

I have my snow blowing get-up from when we lived in Wisconsin and Northern Japan, so I'm all set there.
Those days I used a walk behind blower.
The first winter here I was away, I saved footage from the driveway camera watching my wife shoveling the driveway to get the SUV safely to the street.
The past two winters have had very little snow, but I expect a huge dump this year.  I've been putting off the purchase, but watching that video is "motivating" me to buy the blower.  :D

pete_c said:
Very nice Mike!

Here just utilize a one stage snowblower / service when it gets bad.  Friend on a farm uses a regular tractor to clear the snow.

Thinking it would not be worth carrying the snowblower up to the deck to clear a path.

Pete

A lot of people around here like the little Toro Power shovel for patios and small jobs. I tried one and was impressed with the amount of snow it moved. I don't like the electric cord but if you have an outlet on the patio it may work for you.

http://www.toro.com/en-us/homeowner/snow-blowers/electric/Pages/Model.aspx?pid=power-shovel-38361

Mike.

Thanks Mike.

Yup here just use an electric start gas powered 4 cycle which I didn't really ever use then recently in the last couple of years did use.  Well also used a service.  Old home used a larger two stage snow blower.  It was nice as it had chains on the wheels.  Let it run away from me one year and took a corner of the garage out (real pita to fix). 

Mostly around here folks use little tractors to cut their lawns and I haven't seen any snow attachments being used; well except for one in the last 10 years.   

Guess too; one person got overzealous with his tractor / snow plow attachment and pissed off other neighbors for using it and not asking and messing driveways up. 

Quickie cooking question relating to Thanksgiving turkey.

Here traditionally we cook turkey the morning of Thankgiving.

Sister-in-law cooks the turkey the day before Thanksgiving then puts it in turkey liquid the day of.

What are the preferences here in Internetlandia?

pete_c said:
Quickie cooking question relating to Thanksgiving turkey.

Here traditionally we cook turkey the morning of Thankgiving.

Sister-in-law cooks the turkey the day before Thanksgiving then puts it in turkey liquid the day of.

What are the preferences here in Internetlandia?
I've never heard of cooking the day before. I remember when we were kids fighting over the crispy skin while dad carved the bird right out of the oven. My wife says that's just wrong.

What is turkey liquid? It sounds like she's poaching it.

Mike.

What is turkey liquid? It sounds like she's poaching it.

The turkey is cooked and sliced and put into the refrigerator until the next day.

It is warmed in the oven with a little bit of chicken broth before serving it.

Last night's over turkey dinner discussion was relating to Ina Garten (food network) preparing turkey the day before.

Personally the Turkey tastes different to me. 

I could see this being feasible for 50 turkey dinner guests?

Yup; historically always had had turkey cooked the day of eating it. 

Carving started initially at the table and over the years with the growth of the family it moved to the kitchen. 

I vote for cooking and carving at the table.

These days it's just three of us - my FIL, wife and myself so we're going out to a nice restaurant on Thanksgiving Day. I didn't like the idea of going to a restaurant the first time we did it but it was really very nice.

Mike.

Carving at the table is a hassle.  Better done in the kitchen.  Easier on the back, easier to keep clean and the best way to steal tastes of all the favorite bits...  I'm tall and I do like to look nice for dinner.  Having my shirt or tie get dragged through the food while I hunch down at the table... is not my idea of a fun way to start the meal.  Screw that whole "Norman Rockwell" look of carving at the table.  

We deep fry.  I do at least two birds on Thanksgiving and then usually two or three more for friends the next morning.  The day of I do one for us and one for my bachelor brother.  I'm spending all that cash on the peanut oil then I might as well get my moneys worth.  I lucked into finding pure peanut oil in 3 gallon jugs from Harris Teeter.  Only $39 each this year (compared to $50 for 'mixed' oils last year).  You definitely want peanut oil as it tends to have the least impact on the flavor.  I've used others, including the mixed blends, and they don't cook as well as peanut oil.  Obviously anyone with a nut allergy should look elsewhere.

Hands-down, when comparing, spending more for a higher-end bird from Whole Foods or a local butcher ABSOLUTELY makes  a difference.  Butterball and other supermarket brands pale in comparison.  It's hard to even justify calling them "second place" because they're not even close.  Now, spending $60 on a 20# bird seems a bit much, but for the flavor... it's worth it.

Back