Garage as separate area??

BradScott

I want to set up my Elk M1g so that I can optionally allow the attached garage to not trip the alarm. I see two options -- have the garage sensors (door and motion) either bypassed, or as part of Area 2 (with the house area 1).

Which is better?

If you are wondering why, my neighbor sometimes wants to park his car in the garage while I'm away. Yeah, I could just let him disarm and re-arm too, but I figure there is a better chance of him screwing that up.

Thanks.

I would set it up for a 2nd area. How will he open the garage? If by keypad, perhaps you could set it up so that the proper code in the keypad will open the garage and disarm the area. Then it would arm automatically when the garage is closed. If something like that could be programmed into the M1, then you could secure the garage with the alarm, yet have it super simple for the neighbor. Basically they wouldn't even have to worry about the alarm.

Perhaps that isn't possible with the Elk alone. I don't really know - but it is something to shoot for.

I would set it up for a 2nd area. How will he open the garage?

I usually just lend him a GDO remote.

If by keypad, perhaps you could set it up so that the proper code in the keypad will open the garage and disarm the area. Then it would arm automatically when the garage is closed. If something like that could be programmed into the M1, then you could secure the garage with the alarm, yet have it super simple for the neighbor. Basically they wouldn't even have to worry about the alarm.

Perhaps that isn't possible with the Elk alone. I don't really know - but it is something to shoot for.

I only plan on having one keypad, and that is inside the house. However, I could give him a keyfob and program that to disarm (or bypass) the garage before opening the door.

I guess my question is what is the advantage of defining it as a separate area vs bypassing the door / motion detector (or vice versa)?

I guess my question is what is the advantage of defining it as a separate area vs bypassing the door / motion detector (or vice versa)?

I think the real question is whether you want to be able to arm your garage when the neighbor is using it. If you're OK with the garage not being armed, then just bypassing those zones should be fine. The neighbor can come and go as he pleases and the alarm won't go off.

If you do want the garage to be armed while your neighbor is using it, then you probably want to set it up as a second area simply because you really don't want your neighbor to arm and disarm your entire house. Even if you trust your neighbor (which obviously you do) he could simply forget to re-arm the house at some point.

If you do set it up as a second area, then you'll still need to figure out how he'll arm and disarm it as he comes and goes.

HTH,
Brett

Thanks. So, it looks like I'll just use one Area and the keyfob to control everything -- when he just wants to use the garage, use the * on the keyfob to bypass the door and motion detector, then open the garage door. When he closes the garage door -- that means he is not inside the garage, so I can then un-bypass the door and motion once I detect the door is closed.

Gotta love the M1 which lets you decide what happens in what order when any action happens.

Back