Garage Door IR sensors - multiple in parallel?

Desert_AIP

Anyone know if it is possible to wire a second set of GDO IR sensors in parallel with the primaries?

I want to keep the existing sensors at the bottom of the door and add a second set at about 4' to protect against closing the door on a car not pulled in far enough.
The cars have enough ground clearance that they can stick out into the path of the door even though the ground level sensors are clear.

This is on a Genie GDO.

ETA:
After a bit of internet research, it looks like the output of the sensors transitions from hi to lo at ~155Hz.
So the GDO uses a missed pulse detector when the beam is blocked.
When the beam is blocked it's output is constant hi.
I'm guessing two things.
The oscilaltors wouldn't be synched, so the pulses would arrive at psuedo random times, may or may not cause problems.
If one sensor was blocked (continuous hi output) the other could still be sending pulses, making the second sensor useless.

Hmmm...suggestions?

I agree. To add, I also asked this about a Liftmaster GDO with regards to the safety beams and the smart control panel. I was told it wasn't possible by the manufacturer.

Maybe you could find some process control style Transmitter and receivers. If there is a receiver that has a form c dry contact output you could use it to interrupt the wiring on the existing GDO safety sensors causing a fault and the GDO to not operate. All of this is in theory of course...

Or maybe you could wire up an Optex beam unit which has a dry contact output, typically, and get the same result.

I would start by disconnecting on wire on the existing GDO receiver or transmitter to see if that stops the door from operating first. Then spend more money...

There are other units out there that act as vehicle gate safety beams which may be more or less expensive but I do not know exact part numbers. Is your Google Fu strong?

A relay to break the primary sensor continuity is a good idea.
The opener won't operate with the sensors removed.

How about what all the commercial hardware has...put a pressure sensor on the door to reverse the opener and not rely on the internal sensing clutches (or in addition to)

Back