Garage door openers and military RF signals

Nellis Air Force Base transmits "stuff" via RF and it affected people's car alarms and other systems. I get very strange noise every now and then and it "just goes away" after a day (plus I live up on a hill within a direct line of site of that base.

Skibum said:
I steady RF signal in that band should take all of a few hours to locate...
What would you need to do this, or better yet, can I whip up a half decent homemade version of it from parts laying around? :)

Skibum said:
I steady RF signal in that band should take all of a few hours to locate...
Unless it takes you up to the fence around the base. :)

BSR, all you need is some receiver of that frequency that you can add a signal-strength meter to, and a directional antenna, like a yagi. Let me know when you have it done. ;)

monitor the frequency... see if you can associate periods of activity with your interference. If the signal is going to be strong enough to override a local transmitter, it has to be BIGTIME strong! As in 30 over S9 +

Personally I find it more likely that it is those green men they keep at Groom Lake that is causing the interference....

Skibum said:
Personally I find it more likely that it is those green men they keep at Groom Lake that is causing the interference....
ET phones home on a garage-door frequency! :)

a mobile transmitter would not have nearly the power necessary to override a local signal.

Boy ski, am I glad that you think that, or you wouldn't be able to sleep. You honestly think the military doesn't have any mobile units which have this capacity ;)

Back