Garage door opens depending on vehicle

serky

Hi All,

I want to have a specific garage door open depending on what car enters the driveway and passes the sensor. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have tried this using geofencing and iBeacons with the Space app but it is not reliable.  It also relies on the person's phone rather than the actual car. 

I can get it to work more reliable with the geofencing than the iBeacons but it is about 20% effective.

Thanks,

Jason

@Jason,

A while back here on the forum tested and posted results of some "el cheapo" RFID tags (12VDC automobile powered or battery powered).  I have them mounted here in the same compartment as the dome light such that the antenna is on the glass which probably would work better.

I was getting an "ON" ~ 100% of the time in my testing.  The tags are sold with an RS-232 device where you can poll the numbers while watching them or purchase a multisolenoid RF switch with programmable per tag solenoids.  I have only tested the older RS-232 device.  For the price and what you get without using geofencing / cell phones its not too shabby.

Yup; oldest vehicle has had it mounted and connected now for more than 10 years and still working fine today.  I utilize two RS-232 devices with two antennas.  One works better (in the attic) than on the main floor such that I use both for the sure bet 100% ON / OFF thing.  The ID is unique and can be configured for one garage door (I use it with two).

I do and do not utilize automation for my garage doors although all of the pieces are there.  (all wired sensors except for automobile wireless stuff). 

If you prefer to do a bit less DIY stuff check this company out here.

Read over here too.

Active vs Passive RFID

Thanks again Pete.  I will certainly look into this company as well.  I am trying to reverse my approach and put a long range iBeacon in each car and leave an old iPhone connected with the Space App in the closest area of my home where I enter the driveway.  When the car passes the magnet at the top of the driveway, a flag is turned on for 30 seconds.  When the car is in range of the iPhone, the Space App would have another flag turn on.  So if I have the flag from the iBeacon on and the flag from the magnet on, the appropriate garage door will open..  This would avoid having the garage open when leaving.   In theory this should work but in reality I will most likely be looking into the RFID solution because iBeacons are too slow to turn the flag on before I press the garage door opener.  I also find the iBeacon has a small range even though it is 150 meters. Right now my car is about 50 feet away and the flag is off, so it most likely will not work. If it happens to work reliably, I will let you know.  

Worth a shot though.

Jason

Thank you Jason.

Let us know how it works for you as others on the forum will likely give you methodology a try.

Pete,

It doesn't really work.  The iBeacon doesn't turn on within the time it takes to drive down the driveway.  I am looking into the RFID approach.

Thanks,

Jason

Yup; using a little bit of RF magic (antenna / transceiver placement) you can do just about anything with this stuff today. 

It works for me here but I am not dependant on one technology for my automation / driveway sensors.

A nice mix and play (analog wired / wireless sensors / CCTV) though provides closer to 100% for me. 

I am not dependent on my cell phone whatever it is I chose to use at any given time; other than they all use fast LTE now and they are mostly off in the home.  Never actually have been tied to a contract nor to a phone as I always purchased them untethered to a telco.  Mostly MS mobile now but I do sometimes pick and use the Android phone.  That is me.

Back