Garage Parking Aids

Another thing my neighbor came up with is to reposition the safety "eyes" of the door closer from the original ankle height. If you mount them at bumper height, you'll be clear of the door when it closes.

Bad idea, unless you like flat cats.
Na this doesn't work. I've tried it. They are simply too quick.

Uhhh, nope. When we were building our house, we stayed with my in-laws for a bit, and they did not have safety eyes on their doors. My wife went down to close the garage door one night, and the cat got caught in it. It wasn't pretty; and no, the cat didn't make it.

So, I would not suggest moving the eyes for convenience sake. They are there for a good reason.

Yep, some cats are too slow, especially the ones you've had around a while. It wasn't a pretty experience.

I can see where a cat may also be sleeping directly under the door. They might not wake up - especially if the garage door opening is fairly quiet. I know a lot of cats that like to lay down right at the garage door. They can see all their surroundings and yet feel protected because they can run into the garage and hide if needed.

Chamberlain makes a "universal" laser model (CLULP1) that is always on. It's basically just their regular one except it uses a wall wart for power instead of connecting to the safety reverse sensor. I can't tell from the wall wart what the output voltage is, or if it's AC or DC. One unique thing about this one is that the laser pulses instead of a solid beam.

If a person has an ELK M1G (or similar device) and a garage door sensor already installed (I have neither)...can the output from the wall wart be wired into an ELK relay then to the laser, and a rule be set up to turn the relay on (which turns the laser on) for x number of minutes when the garage door is opened?

Ira

Back