Glass break detector in same room as furnace?

I've used contacts and PIRs for years. Glass break detectors are new to me so I don't know what to expect, behavior-wise.

The HVAC room in our new house (new to us, not new new) has a window. I'm inclined to protect it with a glass break detector but I'm concerned that the furnace might trigger it. The room also has the hot water heater and a water tank (we're on a well). Anything to worry about?

The glass break detector would be a FG-1625.

How big is the window? Is it tempered? You better check your sensor to see if its recommended for that type window. Usually they are not for small windows.

"Regular" size window (i.e. same size as the windows I have in my bedroom, my living room, my dining room, etc.). It is on the walk-out side of a walk-out basement.

Not tempered.

Glass break sensors can trip occasionally from different sounds, so if your furnace makes sounds, that would be a concern.  There are also other types of sensors that don't have this problem.  A simple IR beam across the window inside would accomplish the same thing without false alarms.  Unless its a really big window, its doubtful anyone could get in and not trip it.  If you are really worried, there are sensors that contain multiple IR beams. I use one of these across my garage door opening. Not because I'm worried about someone sneaking in, but to make sure the door won't close if a car is blocking the opening.

By the way, while you are in the HVAC room, add a heat fire sensor.  Lots of fires break out from a furnace.

ano said:
Glass break sensors can trip occasionally from different sounds, so if your furnace makes sounds, that would be a concern. 

Yep, it does make noises.

ano said:
There are also other types of sensors that don't have this problem.  A simple IR beam across the window inside would accomplish the same thing without false alarms.  Unless its a really big window, its doubtful anyone could get in and not trip it.  If you are really worried, there are sensors that contain multiple IR beams. I use one of these across my garage door opening. Not because I'm worried about someone sneaking in, but to make sure the door won't close if a car is blocking the opening.

My garage opener comes with one to prevent closing the door on a blockage, but I did not think about using this type of sensor on the alarm system. Thank you for the idea.

ano said:
By the way, while you are in the HVAC room, add a heat fire sensor.  Lots of fires break out from a furnace.

Upgrading our fire alarm capabilities is also part of my plan.

I wouldn't expect a furnace to make the right kind of noise to trip a glass break. Usually it would be high pitched noises like a dog barking or something being dropped on a tile floor that would trip a GBD.

Depends on the burner and how the furnace sounds when it kicks in. I have experienced falses in a poorly situated detector. Proximity is one thing. Second is the type of detector and adjustment.

Some units self adjust sensitivity to the ambient and perform better than others (I've used Visonic Gtechs for years) and others require a ballpark setting. If it's a single window, I'd look at getting a short range GBD and installing closer to the window and limit the coverage.

Honeywell FG1608 comes to mind

zenoparadox said:
My garage opener comes with one to prevent closing the door on a blockage, but I did not think about using this type of sensor on the alarm system. Thank you for the idea.
So your opener beam. Its at your bumper level right, so if your car was not in all the way it would block it, right?  Oh, its also at the level of your rear hatch or trunk right? Oh and if you have multiple cars they probably have these things at the same height?  The exact height of the opener beam?

In my house the garage opener beam is 4" above the ground, so is pretty useless for detecting anything but maybe a dropped paper towel roll.

SterlingDonnelly said:
I wouldn't expect a furnace to make the right kind of noise to trip a glass break. Usually it would be high pitched noises like a dog barking or something being dropped on a tile floor that would trip a GBD.
And the local college didn't expect stereos with certain albums or genres of music set off GBD's or audio discriminators which necessitated us installing security screens on all the glass.

Note that the instructions for this sensor say to no install it within 3' of an air duct, and not near loud noises.

ano said:
Note that the instructions for this sensor say to no install it within 3' of an air duct, and not near loud noises.

Usually the application would dictate immediately adjacent to the protected glass. In actuality, though not perfect, you would wire any contact installed on the single protection point with the GBD itself.

The unit is really designed for a slider or french door application with an integral contact, but in proximity it's a good short range detector.

Back