Glass Break Detector Wiring

sbex55

Looking at selecting a Glass Break Detector.  The window area I'm trying to cover is a double french door which I'm also planning to use contacts.  For the GBD, I wanted to use the Visonic Glasstech but the installation doc states 'not to be be used with hinged glass doors' so I guess this one is out.   I'm looking at the Bosch DS1101i and DS1108i.  The only difference between these two units (that I can tell) is how they are wired.  If someone could help explain the difference in layman terms it would help me decide (plus I would be sure to wire it correctly the first time!).   Here is the wiring diagram I took from the installation documentation:

Attachments

• Bosch BG Install.png
    Bosch BG Install.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 6
On the 1102, terminal 3 is normally open, terminal 4 is common, terminal 5 is normally closed.
When the glass breaks, the internal relay opens 5-4 and closes 3-4.
For the Elk, you'd connect to terminals 4 and 5.

The 1108 uses a single throw normally closed relay.
3-4 is normally closed.  When the glass breaks, it opens 3-4.

Personal opinion here:
If you're going to use the tamper, do it right and connect it to a separate zone configured as "burglar box tamper".
If somebody messes with the sensor, i.e. opens the cover, you want to catch them in the act.
If you wire the tamper in series with the glass break, you won't find out that there is something
wrong until you set the alarm, then you figure out it was monkeyed with instead of just being a bad sensor, and you can't prove anything.
I don't bother with the tampers in my house, but I would if it were an office or areas that random people have access to.

sda said:
On the 1102, terminal 3 is normally open, terminal 4 is common, terminal 5 is normally closed.
When the glass breaks, the internal relay opens 5-4 and closes 3-4.
For the Elk, you'd connect to terminals 4 and 5.

The 1108 uses a single throw normally closed relay.
3-4 is normally closed.  When the glass breaks, it opens 3-4.

Personal opinion here:
If you're going to use the tamper, do it right and connect it to a separate zone configured as "burglar box tamper".
If somebody messes with the sensor, i.e. opens the cover, you want to catch them in the act.
If you wire the tamper in series with the glass break, you won't find out that there is something
wrong until you set the alarm, then you figure out it was monkeyed with instead of just being a bad sensor, and you can't prove anything.
I don't bother with the tampers in my house, but I would if it were an office or areas that random people have access to.

That makes sense.  Thank you for the explanation.

I'm not going to use the tamper feature so I'll get the 1101 since I can wire it NC or NO.  I'm going to use EOLR's so I should wire this NC correct?

The Visonic Glasstech is perfectly suited towards glass in doors or windows. Sounds like you have some bad information. The statement is "will not detect the breaking of hinged glass doors" which applies to the types of doors you see in office lobbies, frameless glass. If the glass is framed, no issue.

DELInstallations said:
The Visonic Glasstech is perfectly suited towards glass in doors or windows. Sounds like you have some bad information. The statement is "will not detect the breaking of hinged glass doors" which applies to the types of doors you see in office lobbies, frameless glass. If the glass is framed, no issue.

Excellent ... thank you!!

Back