Glass break sensors

Ranger Digital

I did a search but I couldnt figure out how to do a "phrase" search so sorry if this is repetitive (a search on glass break brings up all post with glass OR break)

What do yall suggest to use for glass break sensors? I am hoping there is a reasonable model that can be put between rooms to detect glass breaks in both rooms.

I will be hooking them up typically to an on-q (hai) controller.

Looking for ideas. thanks!

I did a search but I couldnt figure out how to do a "phrase" search so sorry if this is repetitive (a search on glass break brings up all post with glass OR break)

What do yall suggest to use for glass break sensors? I am hoping there is a reasonable model that can be put between rooms to detect glass breaks in both rooms.

I will be hooking them up typically to an on-q (hai) controller.

Looking for ideas. thanks!

Personally, I like the GE Sentrol II 5820A sensors. They are tiny, and therefore, keep the wife happy.

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/product.php...=200&page=1

I used the 5820's in my sisters place. They truly are small and unobtrusive. I am going to try the BV500GB in my place so I have less wiring to do (they are PIR/GB combo). I hear they also work very well, but they certainly are not as unobtrusive as the 5820's.

I am still trying to select Glass Break and Motion sensors for my home application.

Steve, any feedback on your testing of the BV500GB ? I am seriously considering that one, but would like to hear from a user rather than depend on sales literature.

Also, the ones that Ranger referenced, SRPG-II by Crow look good on spec sheet and great on price. Does anybody have any feedback on either of these? or others?

In another thread, rfdesq noted that he generally did not use the combination sensors because they may not allow for optimum placement. Based on that, I looked again at individual sensors and am leaning toward the DSC-BV-300 motion and the GE Sentrol 5812NT Glass break if I choose not to use the combination sensors. Any feedback on either of these? or others? The price on this pair is comparable to the combo devices. I am looking at only 6 pairs of these sensors and would really prefer the combo, but I want them to work right for my application too.

I am real close to placing an order for a total package (centered around the Elk M1G and some automation and basic security stuff). I'd like to make the best choice I can on these sensors so I'd appreciate any advice you experts/pros can give a beginner and diehard DIYer!!!

Thanks,
Jim

Jim, i cant give you input on the actual devices, BUT in your own home does placement really matter that much on the motion sensors? i mean if you are using them for intrusion, they will eventually go off. I would just put them in a great place for glass break as to me that would be more important than the motion. a burgular will hit a motion anyways so does it really matter if it takes two more seconds coz he has to walk another few steps? jsut something to think about. I am sure others may have differing opinions. but my point is if you use combo's focus on the glass break coz if THEY are in the wrong place, they are worthless.

Jim: I still have one sitting here but I have not gotten around to testing it. Check with Brandon at AO, I know he uses them. rfdesq does have a point, but it all depends on your usage and requirements. Is the motion for security or automation, or both? If used for automation then placement is alot more critical. I tend to agree with RD strictly from the standpoint that I am a firm believer in perimeter security as your primary focus. Stop someone/sound sirens BEFORE they are walking around in your house. In that vein, the Glass Break is more important than the motion, but I would also make sure I had properly placed contacts and/or vibration sensors, wired screens, etc. Glass Breaks are pretty casual as far as placement though, so I think in most situations unless you have strict placement goals for the motion base on automation needs, a combo should work pretty well. Keep in mind the ceiling based PIRs as in the BV have a different sense pattern than the wall mounted ones and are useless if you have pets. You can look at the spec sheets for the PIRs and they will show the coverage diagrams and patterns. Aesthetics also may play a part. The BV500GB is a rather large device that will sit prominently on your ceiling. Using the 5820s and small PIRs like Visonics you can get a very unobtrusive look. So there are a few more things for you to consider... But talk to Brandon, he will tell you like it is based on his experience, not salestalk.

the BV500GB is a nice little sensor, it works well for not only security, but also automation. I used a total of five in my last house, the glass break sensor was armed 24/7, and the motion was "dual purpose" it controlled lights and security. I only had the glass break "false" once, but that was my own fault (dropped beer bottle :unsure: ) the motion worked flawlessly until the day i sold the house.

As for the look, I got them because I hate "ceiling acne" almost as much as I hate "wall acne". The BV500GB is a round sensor with very few sharp edges so i could install them on the ceiling straight in line with the smoke detectors, disable the "status LED" and no one would ever give it a second look.

Obviously as Steve said, there is a different motion / glass break combo, or set for every need, if you want un-obtrusive, try out the SPY2 paired with the 5820A and absolutely no one will ever know you have sensors installed.

Again, what you get depends on your needs and wants. If you would like help, feel free to give us a call!

Great feedback! Thank you very much. This has been a very productive 4 months of research and this forum has provided a wealth of information. I suspect my need for answers has only just begun. Brandon, et al, will likely see my complete BOM within the next week or so. Don't get too excited; I'm sure it's very modest compared to most of what you guys do.

thanks, again.

jim

Back