Global Cache 100-12 or Ocelot w/ adicon?

jeffx

I'm in the planning stages to add Home Theater control (IR/serial) to my HA arsenal.

Looks like I have 2 options for IR/serial A/V equipment control:

Ocelot w/ adicon addons
Global Cache 100-12

Primary goal: basic control of my A/V equipment with HAL2000 and Main Lobby
Secondary goal: full control of my A/V with Main Lobby

Can I accomplish any basic control now with the IR Blaster on my Hauppage 150 card (computer is in my A/V rack)?

Should I go with the Ocelot or Global Cache?

Equipment includes:

Sony Amplifier
Sony DVD player
Magnavox TV
Time Warner Cable Digital Cable box
3 tv-tuner Windows XP PC

I do all of this with an Ocelot and have no problems at all. You do not need any expansion modules unless you want more than 1 zone. If HAL supports the USB-UIRT, you might want to take a look at that unit as well.

I thought the IR port on the PVR-150 card was for the IR receiver, and not a blaster port?

electron said:
I do all of this with an Ocelot and have no problems at all. You do not need any expansion modules unless you want more than 1 zone. If HAL supports the USB-UIRT, you might want to take a look at that unit as well.

I thought the IR port on the PVR-150 card was for the IR receiver, and not a blaster port?
pvr-150 has both an ir receiver and blaster.

I have been using the Ocelot and the 16IR with HAL now for years and it just works and works. I have however recently added the GC-100-06 to the mix and am testing the 2 side by side with HALPro and the ELK. So far it is a toss up as both do their job well. If I were just starting to get into this however it might be a different story as I like being able to use my lan and not having to run additional cable everywhere. I will keep you posted as I do further testing.
Jim

ahh, another HAL user! I was thinking the same thing with the GC--no wire to run. I already have CAT5e running to my AV cabinet so I could just mount the GC above my amplifier and connect the IR leads. There is nothing outside of my family room that I need to control by IR.

jeffx, There isn't an Ocelot plugin for MLServer and I doubt one will be written as there hasn't been a need for one and it's an older product to support. In the ML world, the GC and USB_UIRT and Slinke are fully supported. As you are also using HAL, that opens up additional choices.

How's the baby? i thought you were officially broke for the next 18 years :)

OK, well I guess that rules out the Ocelot. And my wife thanks you for that financial reality check :) which rules out the GC.

Looks like I'll be looking into the USB_UIRT.

Back