Great free mail-server software

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Check this out:

http://www.smartertools.com/Products/Smart...l/Features.aspx

It does almost everything I want, and it's free for up to 10 users (I have many aliases etc, but they all forward to the same pop account). I just installed this, and set it up to retrieve the e-mail from my pop server, so I don't have to worry about running an SMTP service (my ISP blocks this anyways), while having access to many useful tools such as ClamAV, SpamAssassin, PDA/Phone syncing etc, it's pretty cool so far! Check out the feature comparison, the free version is identical to the enterprise version, except for the # of users and domains you can have. This is perfect for households.

I have been playing with Postcast Server, but their site seems to be down tonight... Also free for low-end use. Has a lot of neat features. I purchased it for temporary use at work to get around a sticky problem and it ran ok for me.

http://www.postcastserver.com

I guess I should have mentioned that SmartMail also has a really nice webbased interface, and other goodies, it's not just an SMTP server. Good to know about PostCast tho, never heard of it before.

Dan,

That looks like a great find. It looks like they are trying to get you to use the free version just for eval. Do they bug you with ads, or have you seen any indication of a limited duration of the free version?

Bob

No ads whatsoever, it's the same thing as the Enterprise package. The only limitations are the # of users (10), and the # of domains (1),but that's it from what I can tell.

Check this out:

http://www.smartertools.com/Products/Smart...l/Features.aspx

It does almost everything I want, and it's free for up to 10 users (I have many aliases etc, but they all forward to the same pop account). I just installed this, and set it up to retrieve the e-mail from my pop server, so I don't have to worry about running an SMTP service (my ISP blocks this anyways), while having access to many useful tools such as ClamAV, SpamAssassin, PDA/Phone syncing etc, it's pretty cool so far! Check out the feature comparison, the free version is identical to the enterprise version, except for the # of users and domains you can have. This is perfect for households.

Does it include a pop3 server or what are you running for that?

Is there anything comparable to SmarterMail that will run on Linux? Mainly a webmail client that supports these features:

Personal contacts, calendars, tasks and notes
Shared contacts, calendars, tasks and notes
Global address list (GAL)
Shared email folders
Synchronize with Microsoft Outlook
Add Contacts to Microsoft Outlook
Synchronize with Pocket PC 2005

Oh and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Thanks.

Is there anything comparable to SmarterMail that will run on Linux? Mainly a webmail client that supports these features:

Shared email folders

I have looked at scalix several times, but I have yet to have had the time to install and play with it - scalix.com

Shared email folders

I didn't do a full check on the features, but have a look at eGroupware, I think it can do most of what your looking for . . and you'll really like the price . .

I think it'll run on most AMP web installs (Apache, MySQL, PHP (all also free, as in beer & speech, for Win, Linux, BSD etc)), OS doesn't matter . . (I think you could use IIS, but don't know why you'd want to :D )

Pete C

Back