Great Info. Monsters new Zwave stuff

68sting

IlluminEssence Switches/Dimmers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought I'd jump in and answer some questions, most notably the cost of the Monster/Leviton-based Z wave dimmers.

We had several routes to go with building the Switch. This project took a while and we need to chose the most mechanicallly sound switch. Mechanically, the switches are much better constructed, quieter, and are stable at lower power ratings. By itself, the In Wall dimmer costs significantly more than the off the self dimmers at Home Depot

That being said, here are the most significant hardware upgrades:

1) In addition to the Z wave chip, there is a second RF Chip we are not currently using. This is to initiate a true two-way communication feature for more advanced control system. The Dimmers can broadcast its status and its assigned ENGLISH Identification: For example: "PATIO LIGHT is ON at 50%"
the Two-Way communication feature is a huge advancement and took a lot of development time to implement. Monster will be coming out with an advanced control system and there will be other Z Wave Control Software options that can utilize this feature. We don't plan to use it with the AVL300 controller since it would be annoying for the remote to light up everytime a light is turned on. When it comes to 2-way communication, we can add more sophisticated remote monitoring capabilities. For example, triggering the in wall dimmer or next year's Zwave based occupancy sensor with dimmer, can initiate an email or call to your cell phone. These are just some of the possibilities of what we can do with it.

2) Embedded RAM - The Dimmers have memory which uses the new Z Wave scene command class. Rather than a single cast of multiple scene values going to each individual Node in the network, the remote or lighting controller (AVL300 and upcoming AVL50 tabletop lighting controller) needs to only broadcast the SCENE ID. This reduces the amount of traffic on the mesh network by a large margin. In addition to much faster scene execution across networks with more than 10 nodes, we eliminate the "popcorn" effect that plagues the zigby and other RF-based lighting controls.
The need to reduce traffic is necessary since we plan to move AV/IR commands through the network for extended whole home multizone/multi-room control. That being said, future z wave dimmers and switches from other manufacturers should be using this method, however, none are yet available.

3) The dimmer itself wil provide you with the ability to manually set the fade rate from instant on/off, 2 second- 10 second ramps.

4) We employed a new Library that eliminates the ALL on/ALL OFF latency that plagues z wave modules. This process is simply way too slow and we've corrected that with a library that is not in other z wave modules on the market

IWC-600 - the in wall scene controller uses the two-way communication feature and is only compatible with the IlluminEssence line of dimmer and switches. Therefore, it cannot control other z wave lighting products. The Green LED on each pre-labeled button changes color when a lighting module in a scene is modified. Pressing it again snaps the scene back into place.
The button button is a scene zone Dimmer which can ramp the scene up or down. There is an IR window so that you can mate the discreet scene and dim up/down commands to a regular learning IR Remote
The In wall scene controller does not control an electrical load.

This is based on the Vizia RF line, although we have a different signature ID on the chips in our modules that flags it for addition software applications with our advanced control system. Vizia RF will also be priced the same and available through distribution and builders channels.

Hope this helps clarify some questions regarding this line.

Elbert

So is this a proprietary layer on top of Zwave or a zwave group certified (if there is such a thing) extension? Will I be able to use these switches with my existing network, elk zwave controller, and homeseer? Will the 2-way capability be licensed to others so that they can include it in their interfaces and products? I don't really have any interest in such products if they represent a renegade splinter to an existing standard. :)

I'm probably coming off as a little aggressive here, I don't mean to.

I asked the same question on the Homeseer board and here's what the reply was.

We have already tested the wall switches, and they work fine with HS, along with the instant status feature.

They support the new Scene class which is not proprietary. However, the scene class only works with devices that support this class. The current ACT and Intermatic products do not support it. Hopefully, after scenes are added to the multi-button wall controller, they can be set to send commands directly to HS. At this time, I don't see why not. However, the in-wall controller is not shipping from either Monster or Leviton. As soon as we get one, I will report.

So if you buy the wall switches or plug-in modules, no worries, they work fine with HS and with ACT and Intermatic products.

We have not tested the remotes yet, but I am sure they support the ability to become secondary remotes. The monster one does, and we will be testing that one next week, just to make sure. (the AVLS300)

Z-Wave will have some growing pains as they add more functionality. Some of this functionality will require updated product in order to take advantage of it. At this time, the scene class is the only one that I see causing some grief. We will do what we can to allow HS to be a bridge if at all possible. The Z-Troller is completly field upgradable, so we won't have a problem keeping up.

-Rich (HomeSeer Tech)

jlegault,

We have already licensed Leviton's 2-way technology for the Z-Wave PC SDK, and it appears partially in the current version already and will appear with all of its features in the coming upgrade. Most Z-Wave Certified software will have at least basic support, and many applications will be able to configure the add-ons with ease.

Additionally, Z-Wave software applications can use the advanced scene functionality of the scene controllers to act on button presses in a Z-Wave compliant way. This is one of the most exciting enhancements to come to Z-Wave in a while, and I expect to see it in many products soon.

Chris

Back