Grefen HDMI 8X8 Matrix Switcher

etc6849

For my next home automation project, I thought it would be neat to integrate an HDMI matrix switcher.

I only have 4 displays now and 5 sources, but I'd like to have at least an 8X8 for future use.

I came across this one by Gefen that's kind of pricey, but promises being able to play a source over many displays at once:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=9841

Anyone use it? I was thinking I'd spend more on the matrix switcher and go with cheaper extenders as my runs are fairly short (less than 100ft). Full matrix capability isn't a must have, but I'm willing to pay a little more for it. A published RS232 protocol and at least HDMI 1.3 with 3D pass through is a must.

I've never used a matrix switch, but I've read a lot about HDMI extenders. They cause a lot of problems. Use great, powered, proven devices. At a minimum, use a distributor that will accept returns if it doesn't work. And, don't sit on the project for a couple months - return may be difficult if you wait awhile. Many extenders are hit or miss, but so much depends on the source and matrix.

Jautor will hopefully chime in, search for his posts here and at AVS. He'll tell you to use an HDbaseT extender. ;). Search remotecentral.com CI Lounge to find solid recs for the extenders.

I'll have to check out AVSForums...

So far, it looks like HDMI matrix switching may/may not work well. The HDMI extenders seem to be pretty reliable now days, but the issue is everytime you switch sources, an HDCP handshake must occur between the source and display. Not only that on many matrix switchers the lowest EDID seems to win, bringing down the resolution of the other displays.

I believe need a matrix switcher that keeps the HDCP connection open and allows for EDID management of some sort. The problem is this seems to be very expensive for an 8x8. If anyone knows of a different brand that can do this type of thing (besides Crestron DigitalMedia), please let me know :) Any links or PMs with pricing info is appreciated...

Back