HDMI Matrix w/ CAT6

KentDub

I'm interested in installing video distribution in my home. All of my sources are HDMI, and I would like to keep a pure digital connection between them and the displays.

My requirements are (minimum):
- 6 HDMI sources
- 6 HDMI outputs
- Distribute IR
- Cat-6 baluns (1080p runs up to 125ft at the most)
- Serial/RS-232 control
- HDMI 1.3c compliant
- HDCP compatible
- 19" Rackmount
- Full 1080p (also needs to support 1920x1200)

I have pretty much found that a 8x8 matrix is my best bet, plus allows for future growth. The devices I am using as sources include multiple set-top boxes, a network media player, xbox 360, computer, and a blu-ray player. Output locations are (5xbedrooms, great room, extra: garage + living room).

I have been unable to find any devices that match these requirements sub $4000. I would be more interested to be spending around $2k (of course, I also have to add in new cat6 runs, etc.). I am very (very) concerned that if I bite the bullet and spend $4k on this solution it will lose value quicker than my car. The HDMI standards seem to be updated every year or so. I don't even know what the difference betwen HDMI 1.2/1.3c is -- but I know that I have 1.3c devices so I would like to keep compatibility.

For this kind of investment, I'd like to know (hope) that it would last (i.e. be compatible) for a minimum of 10 years. Is it a mistake to spend all of this money on an 8x8 HDMI matrix?

Thanks,
Kent

Kent,

You're certainly venturing down a path that may be fraught with problems... possible solutions are out there, but I'm not sure you'll find something in the $2,000 range that will NOT cause you some headaches. This links to a thread over at AVS which provides some details on available 8x8 matrix solutions that may be helpful.

I think the main issue you'll have is with the HDCP handshake. If your outputs are all capable of the same resolution, you may run into fewer issues, but so far, apparently the only 'bulletproof' 8x8 matrix is made by Crestron... and well, being Crestron, you may need to wait until HDMI is obsolete 20 years from now before that unit will be had for $2,000 :D

If you're comfortable scaling back your needs (for example, if it's not absolutely necessary to see EVERY source on EVERY screen), then 4x4 matrices may be of interest. I personally use an Octava 4x4 matrix with 3 outputs and 4 sources currently (3 D* DVRs and 1 Popcorn Hour C200) and it works pretty great. Now that DirecTV has Multi-room viewing though, the matrix is a bit overkill as it's not likely that we'd ever be watching the same thing on multiple TVs. Once the basement gets finished, it will be useful again, but now it's sitting in the rack doing it's (currently overqualified and overpaid) job!

I'd definitely check out the AVS Home A/V Distribution & Networking forum as there are a lot of threads about what you're trying to accomplish. And although I may sound pessimistic, I would really LOVE to see a decent HDMI solution for what you're after. Right now, a lot of folks will try and convince you to stay with the "tried and true" component video matrix approach. That to me is a REALLY short-sighted solution because there's going to come a day in the near future where analog video will be downgraded (With Blu-ray, this is *mandated* to begin with new players sold post-12/31/2010).

Hope this helps some and isn't TOO discouraging,
Mark

I was at my supplier the other day and he spoke of a new HDMI IP addressable device that allows you to essentially send the signal to any other HDMI receiver in the house (made by same company). He couldn't remember the brand. I'll have to do some digging...

I was at my supplier the other day and he spoke of a new HDMI IP addressable device that allows you to essentially send the signal to any other HDMI receiver in the house (made by same company). He couldn't remember the brand. I'll have to do some digging...

http://www.justaddpower.com/

Note that this product works, but it's not exactly "HDMI over Ethernet". It is HDMI in and HDMI out, but the unit re-compresses the signal (and does a fine job) using a modern video codec to pass it over 1Gbit Ethernet. Just be aware that especially on large screens, you would be able to tell the difference in a side-by-side comparison. I've seen the units in action (CEDIA demo), and certainly for a lot of applications they would be great. But (cost aside, they're not cheap, either) it's not a solution I would have used in my own system given the availability of the matrix switch solutions.

YMMV...

Jeff

Thanks. Plus it's on the list over at google. The fact that it introduces any type of compression and hence macroblocking kills it for me.

CB

Back