GRI 2600 water sensor issue

I hooked up the Gri 2600 water sensor to the ELK-PD9HC 400mA and the zone to the elk m1g. I keep getting a violated message on the zone. The Red wire was attached to the positive and the black wire was attached to the negative on the ELK-PD9HC . The other two was attached the elk using a 2200 ohms resistor. I am running out of ideas what could go wrong?

Jamesb said:
I hooked up the Gri 2600 water sensor to the ELK-PD9HC 400mA and the zone to the elk m1g. I keep getting a violated message on the zone. The Red wire was attached to the positive and the black wire was attached to the negative on the ELK-PD9HC . The other two was attached the elk using a 2200 ohms resistor. I am running out of ideas what could go wrong?
How exactly did you wire the 2200 ohm resistor? (Pic?).  Also, what is the zone type?  What does the zone voltage read?

I am not able to upload a image to show you since this board requires a URL for the image to upload it to.    I have 1 2200 ohm Resistor attached to one of the zone 13 neg input and the other on zone 13.  

From my understanding... since this sensor requires power and is NC it is already supervised.
...Of course I may be wrong :unsure:

Nope, not supervised...that only indicates whether or not the circuit is closed, the EOLR is to supervise the wiring for opens/shorts.

You need to post what voltages your panel is seeing when it's happy and when it's not. Might need to have the zone as NO and a NC detector won't work with the flood ZT (I can't remember, a long day doing boolean).

The GRI 2600 is a 4 wire 12VDC sensor.
Red and black wires are + & - 12VDC respectively.
The green and white wires go to the zone inputs (with EOL resistor).

Nope, not supervised...that only indicates whether or not the circuit is closed, the EOLR is to supervise the wiring for opens/shorts.
Maybe not supervised in the normal sense, but since it requires power and is NC if any of those wires are cut/damaged then it will fail.

Check the voltage between the red and black wires.  Should be ~12 VDC.

Check the voltage between the green and white wires.  Should be ~0 VDC.

Can you bench test the sensor with a 12VDC supply and a multimeter in continuity mode between the green and white wires?

I tested the voltage between the red and black wires on the ELK-PD9HC 400mA and it shows 8 volts.   It looks like the Power supply is not supplying enought power to the ELK-PD9HC 400mA device? I am using the Avemia AC/DC power adapter model PA1A1D which shows 12volts on the adapter.   The GRI 2600 requires 12 volts and how am I going to get  the ELK-PD9HC to output 12 volts?  

I have an old power adapter called Amseco model XT-1640 which has 16.5 VAC and 40 VA.  Will this work or will it damage the Elk-PD9HC device?

Something is wrong.  Lets take this one step at a time (sort of doing what Desert_AIP stated above).

First, your power supply is capable of handling 1 amp and the sensor draws only 15 mA.  The Elk power distribution module has outputs capable of 400 mA. A limited supply doesn't sound like its the issue here.

Take the one amp PA1A1D supply and wire it directly to the sensor (+12 to red and ground to black).

Take your meter and put it on resistance and measure the resistance between the green and white wires (it should show a short or near zero ohms as it's a closed loop).

Then, put water on the sensor and ensure the resistance between the green and white wires shows an open.

Make sure your fingers do not touch the meter's probe ends during these tests (as it can influence the resistance reading).

Report back when this is accomplished for the next step.

video321 said:
Maybe not supervised in the normal sense, but since it requires power and is NC if any of those wires are cut/damaged then it will fail.
Nope..if the unit is NC and you short out the pair feeding the zone, no alarm or change of state, ever. The only way a powered NC detector or device would be considered supervised in the manner you're stating would be if the relay changes state on removal of power, but that is only at the device, not any of the conductors feeding it. Toss a ground fault on the unit with it wired NC and the zone will never change state as long as it's not the +12V conductor which would kick out the aux supply.

Here's the issue with the OP.....He's using a PD9 with an external wall wart (bad idea to begin with). There's no backup battery power and the wall wart is not suitable to run the unit or the PD9 in this application. If you were doing something like cameras with the PD9, sure, but for an alarm, no.

The PD9 needs to be connected to a suitable backup power supply and battery, like an Altronix unit or those that Elk's 624....then you need to make the PD9 and the M1 common by connecting the negative of both units together (Aux - and the PD9's -).

I'm willing to wager that the PD9 is both underpowered for the loads attached to it, combined with the low voltage and wall wart not to mention it doesn't have a common negative, so the 2600 doesn't have a common ground reference to the panel that the 2600 is tied to the zone....

To prove this without fixing the supply and voltage issue, power the 2600 off the panel's aux directly and then wire appropriately to the panel's zone. I can't recall if the water ZT is NO or NC.

While it may be possible you have a bad unit, I'd eliminate a power issue and the circuit issue first.

Thanks for the input everyone i might be getting closer to the problem.  I unplugged everything from the sensor to get the elk to reset the "Violated" to "Normal" status.   Then I hooked up everything again and i still  have the "Normal" status but when I put a wet paper tower under the sensors it became "Violated" status.  Then when I removed the wet paper towel from the sensors and wipe it clean the "Violated" remains.  Why does it not return back to "Normal" status?  it looks like the Elk Zone  might not be setup correctly.

For the wall wart issue I should not have a problem if the power goes out the A/C will go out too which will stop the A/C water drain.

Here is my Elk Zone settings and there is no 2200 Ohm resistors on the zone.
Definition: 16= Non Alarm
Type 1 = Normally Closed
Silent Alarm = Blank
Swinger Shutdown = Blank
Use Dialer Delay = Blank
Periodic Trip = Blank
Listen in = Blank
Fast Loop Response = Blank  (is this correct)
Bypassable = Blank
Enable Chime = Blank
Force Armable = Blank
In Cross Zone pool = Blank

Back