GRI-2600 water sensor

lurlette

Hi all,I am new to elk m1, so please be patient with me, I bought about five of the gri 2600 water sensor to connect to my elk m1 Gold, my question is, can I connect all of them to just the one single 24 volts transformer? Thanks in advance

The 12v versions (2600/2600T) can be powered from the M1 (VAUX Terminals).  If you have 24v versions (2624) I would send them back and buy the 12v versions. 

But to answer your question, yes you can power them all from the same transformer if you wire in parallel and you don't exceed the combined amperage of your transformer.

Note that the 2600 sensors all run on DC power.  So you can't simply power a 2624 sensor from a transformer.  You need a 24V DC power supply.

Sorry,wuench,ral, that was my bad, it's 12 volts, so just to clarify, I can just connect all of them ( say about 7 ) to the 12vaux on the M1 panel right? Thanks

Well as long as you don't go over the total power quota of the panel (1A not in Alarm).   But these only draw 12ma each.

lurlette said:
Sorry,wuench,ral, that was my bad, it's 12 volts, so just to clarify, I can just connect all of them ( say about 7 ) to the 12vaux on the M1 panel right? Thanks

Yes, you can power the GRI 2600s from the VAUX power.  Each one requires 12 mA of current, so 5 of them will require 60 mA.  That's not a lot, but you need to look at what else you are powering from VAUX and make sure you don't exceed 1 Amp. (And better to keep it under 0.8A or so, so you leave some headroom.)

I have to contradict wuench on how to wire them.  The 2600's are normally closed contacts, so you want to wire the contacts in series, not parallel. Just the power wires get connected in parallel.

Ral, sorry, I just want to make sure that I do it right, so for e.g say the 2600 under kitchen sink wire red to + black to - green and white goes to a zone and powder room sink red to + and black to - and same for the others, is that how I am supposed to wire them? Thanks.

lurlette said:
Ral, sorry, I just want to make sure that I do it right, so for e.g say the 2600 under kitchen sink wire red to + black to - green and white goes to a zone and powder room sink red to + and black to - and same for the others, is that how I am supposed to wire them? Thanks.

You should connect the red wires from all the 2600s to VAUX+ and all the black wires to NEG on the M1.  

Then daisy chain the white and green wires from the sensors from one to another.  I.e.  White1 to the M1 zone input, green1 to white2, green2 to white3, green3 to white4, green4 to white5, and green5 to M1 zone NEG.

If you are using EOL resistors, place the resistor at the last sensor (green5) and connect the other end of the resistor to the cable wire that connects to the zone NEG terminal.

RAL said:
You should connect the red wires from all the 2600s to VAUX+ and all the black wires to NEG on the M1.  

Then daisy chain the white and green wires from the sensors from one to another.  I.e.  White1 to the M1 zone input, green1 to white2, green2 to white3, green3 to white4, green4 to white5, and green5 to M1 zone NEG.

If you are using EOL resistors, place the resistor at the last sensor (green5) and connect the other end of the resistor to the cable wire that connects to the zone NEG terminal.

Unless he wants to dedicate a zone to each sensor... right?

I know in some cases (locations) I may want to know specifically want sensor caused the issue so I know where to look right away, rather than having to check every water location.

drvnbysound said:
Unless he wants to dedicate a zone to each sensor... right?

I know in some cases (locations) I may want to know specifically want sensor caused the issue so I know where to look right away, rather than having to check every water location.

Yes, you're right.  I probably misinterpreted the original question and took it to mean that he wanted to connect them all together, not just for power, but also to a single zone.  Now that I've re-read it, it doesn't really say that. 

Thanks for all the input,RAL, yes I have a direct run to each location because I want to know where the leak takes place,from my previous experience with water damage,I would like to know when and where,so I can address the leak urgently. Thanks again ( I want a dedicated zone for each detector)

Back