HAI intermittent light control switch

jrannis

Noob here,
Thank you all for keeping up a very nice forum.

I am and electrical contractor and have been in business for many years. Our trade is very broad but have not dabbled at all in home automation.
A very good friend of mine invited me over to have a look at his HAI system. The only paperwork he has was for the for the Omnitouchscreen Model 32A00-1
Not much to read there.
The problem.
One lighting zone, serving some recessed lights in the living room will come on intermittently and stay on. This happens constantly, night and day. I also believe he said that they would turn off and on and flicker.
His service guy is super busy and a couple of hours away and would just rather not be involved at this point so, I get the hot potato.
The zone appears to have about 4 switch locations controling the lighting for this area.
My first thought, not very technical, was to disconnect the switches one at a time and see if the problem persists, and hopefully identify the malfunctioning switch.

Question,
The zone as multiple switches, could it be as simple as a bad switch or is this a symptom of another problem?

Much Thanks

John

It could be a bad switch, it could also be an unanticipated signal being sent.
I would start with your plan.

But you or the homeowner may need to monitor the UPB traffic with a computer and a PIM and the free software UPStart.
The software will also allow you to examine the programming of each switch to verify the signals the switch will respond to.
It's possible to reprogram the switches with the proper sequence of presses at the switches.
Someone playing with the switches could inadvertently stumble on the right combination and change something.
The computer will give you ground truth.

Back