HAI OMNI LT and X10 ?

dergrah

Hi,

Were in the process of building new house and have the HA bug. My plans started out big with a large HA system with a Russound CAV system. But as those of you that have build there own house know our budget has been blown and the toys are on the list to be cut.

When the budget was there I was going to do a HAI Omni II pro system. I did look very briefly at other systems but seem that HAI was the way to go and use UPB.

That being said I do require a security system.

So I picked up a OMNI LT board only for $100 with the thought that I would use it only as a security system and control a few light.

A few questions for the seasoned HA folks here.

1. Is the HAI OMNI a good system? I don’t see anyone here using it.
2. Is the end user software ok or will I need the dealer software.
3. Can the XP media software replace the need for the dealer or end user software ?
4. I’m looking to use Leviton 6343 X10 dimmer, x10 really that bad?
5. Because the electrical is not in is there any best practices that can be followed in the wireing of the house to get X10 to perform?
6. As it is a new house is there a hardwired solution that is inexpensive?

Thanks for any info/comments

Derek Graham ;)

1. Is the HAI OMNI a good system? I don’t see anyone here using it.

I had the same impression as you and was looking at the Omni II, I've been directed to the Elk M1G by the esteemed readers here, and have been reading up on that recently.

5. Because the electrical is not in is there any best practices that can be followed in the wireing of the house to get X10 to perform?

I believe some of the top two x10 recommendations are:
1. Run a neutral to every box (I don't think anyone does not anymore, but I've heard this stated many times).
2. If you have two phase wiring, I've heard it recommended to keep automation on one phase as much as possible. Most people get a phase coupler anyway.

From my own experience: Install deep electrical boxes, some of the dimmers (such as Smarthome switchlincs) are deep. Newer switches are not as deep, but allowing room to work in the box if it's being built seems like good advice.

6. As it is a new house is there a hardwired solution that is inexpensive?

Note necessarily ha exactly but: Put in security wiring (another thing I wish those who built the house I'm in put in) and multi-room audio connections for speakers, keypads and the like are a good consideration since the wires are relatively inexpensive even if the system gets cut for now. It's more painful to do it later.

On the OmniLT keep in mind the number of zones it has for security, if you are using a few doors and motion detectors that is one thing, but if you are doing a lot you can run out quickly (I think it was 48 total which you can easily get to very quickly if you wire windows and the like, especially if you were looking at the Omni Pro II (which handles like 300+). Do a count and make sure you will be happy with that number of sensors and it will cover your needs.

Thanks,

After alot of reading up on both the HAI and EKL products I'm going to buy a M1 Gold.

Derek :blink:

Also - look at some of the X10 alternatives. There are much more robust and reliable solutions out there now (such as UPB (my personal preference), ZWave, Insteon, etc).

About wiring your house. Make sure you run lots of extra wire to place that you may think you will need it in the future. A good rule of thumb that I read in a magazine recently is

atleast RG6 conductors to each room
atleast 2 cat5e conductors to each room
and maybe two additional cat5e conductors to each room.

The RG6 will be used for Cable and Closed Cicuit TV(Security Cameras)
The Cat5e will be used for telephone and networking but can also be used for many automation purposes.

If you plan to become a DIYer then do youself a favor and run some conduit from your wiring closet (I hope you have one :) ) to each floor including the attic. It sucks that you have to turn away your toys but I am sure the budget will be there again later in life and you will probably want to add your toys later so just to make life easier think of everywhere you may want to have a security camera, sensor, light switch, motion detector, or whatever and make sure you have plenty of wire running atleast close to that area so that you are not fishing for wires when the time comes.

About electrical... if your state follows the NEC then there is no limitation to how many receptacles are allowed on a single circuit. With this in mind make sure you go overkill with electrical outlets in your wiring closet and your computer room and your media room.

You know, some of you might think I'm nuts, but, if I were building a new house, I think I would put security sensors on most (if not all) doors in the house.

They are cheap to install and could provide some great home automation benefits I think.....

AutomatedOutlet said:
You know, some of you might think I'm nuts, but, if I were building a new house, I think I would put security sensors on most (if not all) doors in the house.

They are cheap to install and could provide some great home automation benefits I think.....
Agree. Don't forget about keypads, glass breaks, motion sensor, and smoke alarms locations as well. Remember these items will require power so four conductors is needed (vs two for the doors and windows).

You may want to check out my How To Install A Home Security System How-To as it covers security wiring.

Here is a snippet from another post on home wiring for automation and security as this question gets asked a lot (hmmm, time to start an FAQ forum perhaps??):

Think about the following while wiring your home:

Make sure to use DEEP junction boxes!!
Security contacts for all doors and windows, including garage doors.
Wiring for motion sensors in all rooms
Wiring for cameras in all rooms
Wiring for speakers in all rooms
Wiring for thermostat control near thermostat locations
Wiring for doorbell/audio-video at front entrance
Wiring for outdoor lighting including low voltage and house flood lights
Wiring for motion detectors and cameras outside home (include areas for garden, patio, play areas, etc...) Run conduit to key outdoor locations (high and low voltage) before landscape is done.
Wiring for antenna(s) in attic for W800 receiver
Of course the usual distribution of Coax and Cat5e to each room (multiple runs)
Make sure network wiring is run away from AC lines and cross at 90 degree angles when going over AC runs
Wiring for RFID sensors, security keypads, glass breaks sensors
Wiring for mailbox and driveway sensors and external gates, fountains
Wiring for sprinkler systems

Take TONS of pictures even with some measurement references because you will have to "find" this wiring after drywall goes up. I took pics of all my walls before drywall and it was really helpfull and I refered to them anytime I put a screw in a wall for a pic/shelf/etc...

It would be nice if all wiring came into one central "wiring closet" including homeruns (demarcation) points for phone, cable, sat tv, etc...

Make sure you ring out all of your security and low voltage wiring. Try to terminate and test Cat5e runs as well before drywall goes up. (I wish I could have done this but security wiring was done by my builder, and yes, I am an expert drywall patcher!).

Back