HAI OmniPro II - Mixing ALC & UPB

rosenqui

I've got about 60 ALC switches controlled by an OP-II. The switches were installed in 2000 and were controlled by an Aegis 2000 until I upgraded to an OP-II a while ago.

I've got a few defective ALC switches that I am replacing with brand new HAI UPB switches, and I'm wondering about the best way of numbering the UPB devices.

So far I've just replaced 3 switches on the first ALC leg. As far as the OP-II is concerned the unit numbers haven't changed - the old ALC Branch 1 Unit 5 switch was replaced by a switch configured as UPB unit #5. I've got the House Code Format for units 1-16 set to "UPB" and things seem to work, but the UPB switch is always slow to respond when turning on/off a group of lights. When I turn all of the basement lights on for example, the ALC circuits turn on in about a second, but the replacement UPB light often takes 10 seconds. When addressed by itself the UPB switch is usually quite fast, so I'm wondering if the OP-II tries ALC first and then falls back to UPB when there's a mixture.

Would I be better off using UPB unit numbers that don't conflict with ALC unit numbers, unit #129 and higher for example, or does it not make any difference? Renumbering means changing some other systems that interface with the OP-II so I'd rather not bother if it's not going to help matters.

I am running both ALC and UPB, also have about the same number of switches.  Best to leave the ALC configured as is, and start the UPB address higher--81 in my case.  I have a few spare ALC units if interested.  Hope this helps.

Edge

Thanks - I'll assign numbers in a different range when I replace the next batch of ALC switches and see how much of a difference that makes.

Back