Omnipro II and UPB PIM

mdruno

I have an Omnipro II and I have just came across several UPB switches and a PIM and cable from a friend. I do not currently have a UPB network. My question: do I need another PIM to connect to a PC for programming or can I use the same PIM that is connected to my Omnipro II by disconnecting it from the Omnipro II and using it to program from my PC? Thanks.

Technically you can use one for both, but in practice its a bad idea. The OMNI and the PC each use a different mode for the PIM, and while you can switch modes back and forth, its a bit tricky. So I would recommend getting two PIMs. Get the HAI PIM and HAI cable for the OMNI, then any other PIM and cable for the PC.

Technically you can use one for both, but in practice its a bad idea. The OMNI and the PC each use a different mode for the PIM, and while you can switch modes back and forth, its a bit tricky. So I would recommend getting two PIMs. Get the HAI PIM and HAI cable for the OMNI, then any other PIM and cable for the PC.
Thank you for the quick response. Can you talk me through doing it with one? I hate to invest more money if it is not going to work.

If you can get it connected to UPStart, I think there is an option in UPStart to toggle it from one mode to another. The HAI only can us a serial PIM with a special cable, and I've never gotten a non-HAI PIM to work. Most PIMs are USB, so that won't work with HAI, so get a serial PIM. Your PC has a serial port, right?

If you can get it connected to UPStart, I think there is an option in UPStart to toggle it from one mode to another. The HAI only can us a serial PIM with a special cable, and I've never gotten a non-HAI PIM to work. Most PIMs are USB, so that won't work with HAI, so get a serial PIM. Your PC has a serial port, right?
I have the Omni PIM with the HAI cable. Can I simply get another cable and put a serial DB9 on one end to connect to the PC?

Can I simply get another cable and put a serial DB9 on one end to connect to the PC?

Yes that is what I do for my floater HAI UPB Pim.

Can I simply get another cable and put a serial DB9 on one end to connect to the PC?

Yes that is what I do for my floater HAI UPB Pim.
Thank you for your input. Do you have a wiring diagram for the RJ connector to the DB9?

I wired my aux HAI UPB PIMs myself. Here is a thread from 2015.

I wired my aux HAI UPB PIMs myself. Here is a thread from 2015.

Thanks for your help. I tried to make a cable based on what I read in the 2015 thread.
From the RJ11 to the DB9 as follows:
RJ11 DB9
Pin 1 - Pin 5
Pin 2 - Pin 4
Pin 3 - Pin 2
Pin 4 - Pin 3

And I can not establish a connection in UPStart.

Maybe you have the RJ11 side of the jack flipped.

1699850117937.png1699850153731.png1699850207421.png

BTW you can utilize a standard unpinned RJ45==> RS232 connector end. It will fit fine with an RJ11-12 connector. You only utilize the 4 middle wires. Do not use the colors mentioned above and use a multimeter to check RJ12 wires to RS-232 end. Thinking I had it working with the HAI UPB Pim with just 3 wires at one time (RX, TX and Ground).

Last edited:
Maybe you have the RJ11 side of the jack flipped.

View attachment 11336View attachment 11337View attachment 11338

BTW you can utilize a standard unpinned RJ45==> RS232 connector end. It will fit fine with an RJ11-12 connector. You only utilize the 4 middle wires. Do not use the colors mentioned above and use a multimeter to check RJ12 wires to RS-232 end. Thinking I had it working with the HAI UPB Pim with just 3 wires at one time (RX, TX and Ground).
Thank you. I tried to connect just as you have detailed. Still no luck. The PIM that I am trying to use is the HAI 36A00-1 UPB Powerline Interface. Once I plug the PIM into an outlet the status light flashes red 3 times, flashes green one time then goes to solid orange. Same result when the cable is connected. Still getting the "The powerline interface could not be found on Comm port 3. I am indeed using Comm 3.

Yes have 3-4 of the HAI 36A00-1 UPBs floating around the house and one that I use with my laptop. The floaters are connected to serial to IP interfaces. I use these to check for signals. The UPB PIM for the OmniPro 2 panel is connected to an outlet attached to the fuse panel with a ~25 foot or so run to the panel via RJ12 flat cable.

Test in vivo....and use 3 wires initially....

36A00-1 ==> RJ12 6 wire cable ===> strip the end and cut off the outer two wires and leave the 4 middle cables open and use test clips to connect it to the RS-232 9 pin end...use only 3 wires to test..RX, TX and Ground....looking at one that I have next to the server rack...thinking it is plugged in to a Digi 8 serial port to USB device. Will take pictures....and post them here...6

Geez found 3 UPB PIMs connected to the server rack. (Home Assistant, Homeseer and W2016 for Upstart). One of them has an original HAI connector. They all connect to serial to USB interfaces (Including Digi Edgeport) Here are pictures. Another one is in the TV room and another is in the attic. (5 total) Do not use the colors as reference. Note too that only four pins connect to the RJ12 piece. Note that the pins are labeled with numbers.

1699897653511.png1699897685818.png1699897912129.png
Here is what Upstart looks like with the UPB PIM connected via USB to Serial to above mentioned PIM on Windows Server 2016.

W2016-UPB.jpg

Last edited:
Yes have 3-4 of the HAI 36A00-1 UPBs floating around the house and one that I use with my laptop. The floaters are connected to serial to IP interfaces. I use these to check for signals. The UPB PIM for the OmniPro 2 panel is connected to an outlet attached to the fuse panel with a ~25 foot or so run to the panel via RJ12 flat cable.

36A00-1 ==> RJ12 6 wire cable ===> strip the end and cut off the outer two wires and leave the 4 middle cables open and use test clips to connect it to the RS-232 9 pin end...use only 3 wires to test..RX, TX and Ground....looking at one that I have next to the server rack...thinking it is plugged in to a Digi 8 serial port to USB device.
I see a discrepancy with pins 7 and 8bon the DB9. The wiring diagram you sent earlier has pins 7 and 8 jumpers together and you last photo shows no connection to pins 7 and 8.

I see a discrepancy with pins 7 and 8bon the DB9. The wiring diagram you sent earlier has pins 7 and 8 jumpers together and you last photo shows no connection to pins 7 and 8.
I tried just TX, RX and Ground and still nothing.

36A00-1 ==> RJ12 6 wire cable ===> strip the end and cut off the outer two wires and leave the 4 middle cables open and use test clips to connect it to the RS-232 9 pin end...use only 3 wires to test..RX, TX and Ground....looking at one that I have next to the server rack...thinking it is plugged in to a Digi 8 serial port to USB device. Will take pictures....and post them here...6

Geez found 3 UPB PIMs connected to the server rack. (Home Assistant, Homeseer and W2016 for Upstart). One of them has an original HAI connector. They all connect to serial to USB interfaces (Including Digi Edgeport) Here are pictures. Another one is in the TV room and another is in the attic. (5 total) Do not use the colors as reference. Note too that only four pins connect to the RJ12 piece. Note that the pins are labeled with numbers.

View attachment 11339View attachment 11340View attachment 11341
Here is what Upstart looks like with the UPB PIM connected via USB to Serial to above mentioned PIM on Windows Server 2016.

View attachment 11342
I found an old serial cable that with an RJ 11 to a DB 9 that I have used in the past to program my HAI before ethernet. I just tried it and I can communicate with my OP2. But I still can not communicate with the PIM.

Back