HAI UPB PIM + UPStart connection

SeayTechnology

Where can I find the serial cable that talks from PC to HAI UPB PIM?
How do you put the HAI UPB PIM into pulse mode?

I have an Omni Pro II (3.4) controller that utilizes a HAI UPB PIM for lighting. I am having trouble communicating with the HAI UPB PIM. I can not find a HAI/LEVITON 36A05-2 Serial Cable online so I followed a pinout from a post on this forum and built an adapter..
https://cocoontech.com/threads/hai-leviton-upb-serial-connector-wiring.28238/page-3
(Info: green, black, red, white, then yellow across the top row. blue in the first hole of the second row.)

After connecting my computer’s serial port to the adapter and a serial cable from the adapter to the PIM I open the UPStart software. When I open UPStart, I get “the powerline interface could not be found on your communications port 1”. I have gone through the UPStart manual and various connections on the UPStart software to no avail.

From the HAI UPB PIM manual, I assume my PIM is in Message Mode as the “receive” LED on the Levitron controller is not steady “On” and the PIM has a solid green status light and blinks red when I send commands from HAI Controller. I cannot find information on how to put the HAI PIM into pulse mode… the manual just states how to factory reset the device to put it back into “Message Mode”.

I am not sure if my adapter is faulty or if I need to put the PIM into “Pulse Mode” before UPStart will see it.

I would like to connect to this system so I can add/remove switches as they become defective as well as add additional light control for specific room controllers. I have a light switch that controls 3 out of 4 loads in a room and want all 4 loads to be controlled by the same room controller.

I can talk to lights via the PC Access software but I am unsure of how to add new lights, re-assign room #’s etc and would like to use UPStart to get a different look at my lighting controls. There are a few different brands all working together on the UPB system as the previous homeowner replaced devices when they failed.

Additional info:
Lighting system uses four Lightolier Controls - Compose PLC Firewalls.
There are 15+ Lightolier Controls CP5ESPLCW 6 Button Keypad
There are 35+ HAI 38A00-1 Room Controllers - 6 Button Keypad
There are 3 Leviton HLCK6-W - 6 Button Keypad (assume the previous owner replaced some defective units with these.)
There are 13 Lightolier Controls CC600VAPLC Dimmer
There are 60+ HAI 35A00-1 600W Dimmer UPB Wall Switches.
I believe there is a phase coupler or two throughout the home as well.

Thank you in advance and my apologies for the amount of information I just provided.

Where can I find the serial cable that talks from PC to HAI UPB PIM?
How do you put the HAI UPB PIM into pulse mode?

I have an Omni Pro II (3.4) controller that utilizes a HAI UPB PIM for lighting. I am having trouble communicating with the HAI UPB PIM. I can not find a HAI/LEVITON 36A05-2 Serial Cable online so I followed a pinout from a post on this forum and built an adapter..
https://cocoontech.com/threads/hai-leviton-upb-serial-connector-wiring.28238/page-3
(Info: green, black, red, white, then yellow across the top row. blue in the first hole of the second row.)

After connecting my computer’s serial port to the adapter and a serial cable from the adapter to the PIM I open the UPStart software. When I open UPStart, I get “the powerline interface could not be found on your communications port 1”. I have gone through the UPStart manual and various connections on the UPStart software to no avail.

From the HAI UPB PIM manual, I assume my PIM is in Message Mode as the “receive” LED on the Levitron controller is not steady “On” and the PIM has a solid green status light and blinks red when I send commands from HAI Controller. I cannot find information on how to put the HAI PIM into pulse mode… the manual just states how to factory reset the device to put it back into “Message Mode”.

I am not sure if my adapter is faulty or if I need to put the PIM into “Pulse Mode” before UPStart will see it.

I would like to connect to this system so I can add/remove switches as they become defective as well as add additional light control for specific room controllers. I have a light switch that controls 3 out of 4 loads in a room and want all 4 loads to be controlled by the same room controller.

I can talk to lights via the PC Access software but I am unsure of how to add new lights, re-assign room #’s etc and would like to use UPStart to get a different look at my lighting controls. There are a few different brands all working together on the UPB system as the previous homeowner replaced devices when they failed.

Additional info:
Lighting system uses four Lightolier Controls - Compose PLC Firewalls.
There are 15+ Lightolier Controls CP5ESPLCW 6 Button Keypad
There are 35+ HAI 38A00-1 Room Controllers - 6 Button Keypad
There are 3 Leviton HLCK6-W - 6 Button Keypad (assume the previous owner replaced some defective units with these.)
There are 13 Lightolier Controls CC600VAPLC Dimmer
There are 60+ HAI 35A00-1 600W Dimmer UPB Wall Switches.
I believe there is a phase coupler or two throughout the home as well.

Thank you in advance and my apologies for the amount of information I just provided.
Please check the last paragraph on page 1 of the attached manual.

Attachments

• 36A00-1_Manual.pdf
    162.4 KB · Views: 22
@ano - Thanks for providing the older HLC Setup info, definitely more information in there than I've seen (been scouring the net for weeks collecting HAI / HLC info as I am completely new to the system and it currently controls my thermostats, security zones and lighting). I have read and re-read the post you linked over the past few weeks but that is the post that led me to making my own cable which inevitably, has not worked. (to reiterate, my problem could be from an incorrect pinout all the way down to not having my PIM set to "Pulse Mode"). Do you know how to get to the initial setup screen on the HAI controller? The one that's labeled "Setup Names / Voice" where you can assign and program units? I can see where I can change names of units on the main PC Access screen but was wondering if that names/voice setup screen only comes up when first setting up the controller.

Setup screen of HAI Controller.png

@dwalt - I appreciate you providing the manual. Unfortunately, the manual does not actually state how to put the PIM into "Pulse" mode. Either that, or I am completely blind and incompetent. My PIM is in "Message Mode" which works with the controller.. I am looking for information on how to put the PIM into "Pulse Mode" so I can attempt to communicate with the PIM via UPStart directly from my PC. Thanks again for helping clarify!

I thought it would change to pulse mode automatically/. Did you try connecting it? UPStart software does that. Finding the correct serial port on a PC can be tricky and that might be a problem. Sure the USB to serial adapter is working on the right serial port?

To see the rooms in PC Access, make sure the bank of units are in HLC mode and NOT UPB mode. In the HLC setup guide, make sure your rooms are setup correctly. You have 7 loads per room and one room controller. HLC is very structure in how rooms and units are numbered. In UPB mode, there is none of that. HLC Mode and UPB Modes are different.

@ano Thanks for the assistance on this. I have an rs-232 port on my laptop that I am connecting to the adapter I made, which then plugs into the serial cable that feeds directly into the PIM. I am familiar with using device manager to locate specific ports on a computer.. I have also tried using a USB to serial adapter which plugs into the rs-232 serial adapter I made that then plugs into the serial cable feeding into the PIM. That process also did not work for me. I have tried the different ports within the software to no avail with both configurations as well (direct connect rs-232 port to adapter to serial cable to PIM; and USB cable to serial adapter to serial cable to PIM). Pictures of said devices for reference.IMG-2893.jpgIMG-2894.jpg

And thanks for the additional information regarding HLC..my units are set up in HLC format. I guess to streamline my question. How do I add a load that has a Lightolier Controls CC600VAPLC Dimmer and not previously programmed into the HAI and then associate that load with a keypad that is in the same room and controls 3 other loads but not that specific load yet? My apologies if my information is convoluted and I just need to read the manual(s) again, but I feel like I can possibly make sense of it all once I get into UPStart. Currently, my dimmers will tell me House Code and Room Code but that information does not match up with what I see on the "Units" page within PC Access. I have attached a photo of my units page.

Picture of the HAI HLC Programming.png

Attachments

• IMG-2894.jpg
    IMG-2894.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
This is the OP2 serial port pin out.

1687549507448.png

Notice it is only the middle 4 wires you need to connect.

1687549594774.png

2->2 (RD)
3->3 (TD)
4->4 (DTR)
5->5 (ground)

Check the pin for pin with a VOM and do not depend on colors of the cables.

Maybe switch the RX and TX wires on your DIY'd device for Upstart?

Here use one primary HAI UPB PIM and 2 secondary (for diagnostics) and another one which is a floater.

The secondary HAI UPB PIMs all utilize DIY'd RS-232 ends (9 pin).

Last edited:
Back