HAI Omnipro UPB Light Switch Question

heffneil

I was wondering if there was some setting that could set a switch to go back on to the last dimmed position.  In other words if I set the switch to 50% and then turn it off the next time I just turn it on I would like it to return to the 50%.  I still would like the option to adjust it but imagine one of those old time dimmers with the up and down dimming and a switch and the bottom to turn it on and off.

I guess it might need to be setup in Upstart if possible but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Neil

Here a single tap turns lamp on at 50% and a double tap turns lap on to 100%.  You do that with Upstart.

Have a look at the configuration of the UPB switch with Upstart.

This methodology works well relating to the WAF. 

Yeah its for a buddy who wants it to go back to last level.  The 50 / 100 method I guess is an option.  I do the double tap to get the lights on faster and mostly use scenes to avoid the problem.

Yes, there are settings in Upstart to configure this, but it is dependent on whether the switch supports that option.  Not all rocker switches do.  Some of my SA ones do it.

Will check here.

Started here with a mixture of PCS, HAI and SA switches.

My HAI switches do the double tap thing as I have one in the home office and keep it on at 30% via programming or double tap manual control.  It is about 10 years old(?). 

The manual for the HAI switch model HA35A001 does indicate that it does double taps.

haiswitch.jpg

Last updates here were to dual load multiple toggle SA switches to shrink down the switch footprint. 

Many of the multiple toggle switches do scenes these days.

Just load up Upstart and look at the switch model and configuration to configure the switch.

Google the model number for switch functions.

In box o UPB switches found a few of the HAI 55A00-1 dimmer switches and a few of the HAL-RS101 UPB dimmer switches.  Thinking the HAL switches were SA switches that I purchased at Fry's many many years ago.

I set up a test UPB network quickie thing here and connected the above mentioned switch.   I keep 3-4 UPB PIMs on line here (connected serially) just to do the Upstart stuff with them.  (I have a few HAI and SA PIMs here).
Helping a CT peer and looking for a cheapo serial to network server for this very purpose.

The rocker tabs indicate the single and double tap functions.

Attachments

• HAI-55A001-A.jpg
    HAI-55A001-A.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 11
  • HAI-55A001-B.jpg
    HAI-55A001-B.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 13
If the switch supports the option, it will be on the Advanced tab.  This screenshot is from a SA US1/US2 switch.

US1_US2_Rocker.png

I guess it might need to be setup in Upstart if possible but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!I

Well do it. 

Download it from here:

Upstart download

and read this:

Upstart quickstart guide

and this:

Getting started with Upstart

and this:

Upstart readme

and this:

Upstart user guide

and this:

Upstart Export File Description

Did you only utilize your OmniPro 2 panel to configure your UPB/HAI switches?

Upstart runs only in Wintel.  Do you have a spare PIM?  Use that.

So I am not connected to my UPB network right now.  Does anyone know off hand if the HAI switches "Store Last Level"?

heffneil said:
So I am not connected to my UPB network right now.  Does anyone know off hand if the HAI switches "Store Last Level"?
Yes they do store the last level.  Personally I don't think its a great feature because if you dim a switch to 0%, that will be the stored level, which is confusing. I set all mine to around 90% for a single click and 25% for a doubleclick, but its a matter of preference. Just remember 0% can be a stored level, and guests that don't know what they are doing will dim lights to 0% to turn them off, then be very confused when they are turned on to 0%.

Interesting discussion for me, a previous Zwave user.... this was a standard feature/configuration of all the Zwave dimmers I have/had. 

I'm hoping to get things going with our new place soon, and thinking that I will go with UPB in this house as I want to try it out based on reviews of others here and to get experience with another system as well. Having said that, I had no idea that this wasn't standard. It's always the little things... 

Over the years here have gone to many multipaddle switches (and dual load multipaddle switches).

Most of this was to shrink down the footprint of wall switches as it was a bit too much.

The kitchen has two hallways with 3 way switches, breakfast nook with 3 way switches, main cans used three way switches and separate switched cans which utilize single switches. Never did utilize aux UPB switches. 

I went to multipaddle controlling scenes in kitchen and single links and still utilize main load switch here.  WAF is high and she knows switches better than me these days.

Relating to the single paddle switches made them all the same with a single top tap dim level and a double top tap at 100%.

Bottom rockers have been single tap off and double tap down to same dim level as top rocker.

I would like a recommendation on UPB switches.  I currently have old PCS X-10 switches and they dim and brighten perfectly and have a good feel.  I got some Simply Smart switches and they do not feel as good in operation but more importantly I have trouble getting the lighting level correct.  They seem to overshoot constantly.  I release the switch and the bulb continues to dim or brighten.

I am tempted to try the PCS UPB switches but don't know how they will compare.  I am also wondering about the HAI (Leviton) UPB switches.  I would also like them to be compatible with LED bulbs since everything is going that direction.

Can someone make some recommendations.  Alternatively are there some settings I can do in upstart to get the Simply Smart switches to dim better.

One other thing:  I like the ability to set them to go to the last level when they are turned on.  My current PCS X-10 switches do that.

Back