HAI Omnipro UPB Light Switch Question

Jccc said:
I would like a recommendation on UPB switches.  I currently have old PCS X-10 switches and they dim and brighten perfectly and have a good feel.  I got some Simply Smart switches and they do not feel as good in operation but more importantly I have trouble getting the lighting level correct.  They seem to overshoot constantly.  I release the switch and the bulb continues to dim or brighten.

I am tempted to try the PCS UPB switches but don't know how they will compare.  I am also wondering about the HAI (Leviton) UPB switches.  I would also like them to be compatible with LED bulbs since everything is going that direction.

Can someone make some recommendations.  Alternatively are there some settings I can do in upstart to get the Simply Smart switches to dim better.
I believe only two companies make UPB switches, Simply Automated and PCS. I thought the HAI/Leviton switches were made by PCS also. 

As for type there are PCS, Simply Automated, HAI/Leviton, and Web Mountain which makes another variation.  Some Pros and Cons:
Pros:
SA switches have changeable faceplates
Leviton and PCS switches are Gen 3 or 4 and support an active repeater and a few other features.
Leviton switches have an extra feature that allows them to be programmed by an Omni panel.
Leviton switches work easily with HLC (HAI Lighting Control)
Web Mountain sells upgraded SA switches (Gen 2-3) which do support repeaters, but otherwise look like SA switches.
Only Leviton makes a relay switch for outlets, and possibly fans.
Only SA makes a 3 speed fan controller switch but its not terribly reliable in terms of life. (I'm on my fourth one on one fan.)

Cons:
SA switches are Gen 1 so don't support a repeater fully. (because SA didn't license the new firmware.)
Leviton and PCS switches don't have a changeable faceplate
PCS and SA switches can't be programmed from a Leviton panel, and don't easily support HLC.
SA three speed fan controllers are very reliable.

Just a point of correction Leviton does have color change kits for their switches.  I think White, Bone and Black are the options.

heffneil said:
Just a point of correction Leviton does have color change kits for their switches.  I think White, Bone and Black are the options.
When I said swapping faceplates I wasn't talking about color change.
Leviton has many colors, I use the gray. Simply Automated also has color change kits. I think six colors for some of their switches.

heffneil said:
Im sorry I don't understand?
Its a good point if you need a different color. Home Depot carries most of the switch covers that match the Leviton switch colors, which is handy.

Thanks for the feature comparison, but what about "feel" and ability to set dimming level precisely from the switch.  I am not too thrilled with the Simply Automated switches from that perspective.

Back