Haiku Haiku and HughesNet, satellite based internet service...

AnthonyZ

I have a client with a second home that is fairly deep in the mountains. They are stuck with HughesNet's (lousy) service. We are able to use SnapLink and PC Access to log in to the controller remotely (if slowly) but, Haiku won't connect. It's as if it times out before it can negotiate the connection. Of course, I look like the bad guy 'cause the client bought a $50 app that won't work. I just wonder if there is any way to force a longer attempt at connecting or if there are any other suggestions for getting it to work.

The timeout is 30 seconds I believe, that should be sufficient to initiate a valid connection in most cases. I would guess the problem is something else. Have you verified all the parameters entered into Haiku are 100% correct? Such as the address and port, as well as the private key parts of course.

A common error is users entering http:// into the address field, but it should not be entered.

Another known issue is that HAIs controllers can get "stuck" sometimes and not accept new connections, I doubt this is the problem here though if you are testing via SnapLink from the same device (specifically). The fix for this is simply to restart the controller (power cycle). It usually happens when a lot of connects/disconnects happen in a short period of time and is probably some sort of a firmware bug.

You can also PM me the connection details and I can do some tests to check what might be the problem.

Back