Hardware selection committee

Sacarino

I have a 2nd location I'm in the middle of automating and this presents me with a chance to do things differently. I already have another Homeseer install there (EOY sale for the win :D) running a decent Z-wave network. I need to be able to monitor some contact closures (for the garage doors) plus some "nice to have" Elk doorbell and phone detectors... and while I'm buying new hardware other "nice to have" items are to collect temp/humidity information from throughout the fairly large house (specifically in bathrooms and in the server closet), as well as have the option for cheapo X-10 motion sensors.

So I find myself playing "what if" here and trying to get the best bang for my buck - which is where you guys come in! Have I run through all my permutations below? Did I miss something? Which would you go with?

I really would appreciate any thoughts you folks would care to share!

Wireless route #1:

WGL800 for $75
AC-RF2 plug-in for $40
9 DS10A for $30
Total: $145

Pro: Can monitor other contact closures as desired using extra DS10As. Can include motion as desired.
Con: Limited to 310Mhz sensors, which is a big con. No temperature sensors.

Wireless route #2:

2 Z-wave Home Manageable door sensors for ~$100
433Mhz RFXCom for $150
AC-RF2/RFCom plug-in for $40
THN132N for ~$18
Total: $308

Pro: Flexibility with temp options.
Con: Temp/humidity sensors are pricey unless a one-time deal found, uncertain about DS10a equiv for 433Mhz

Wireless route #3:

Multi-freq RFXCom for $230
9 DS10A for $30
AC-RF2/RFCom plug-in for $40
THN132N for ~$18
Total: $318

Pro: Unlocks just about any wireless option.
Con: Temp/humidity sensors can get pricey unless a one-time deal found.

Hardwire route #1: (Attic access isn't a problem for running cable.)

Ocelot for $160
Secu16I for $85
Temp Bobcat for ~$50
Total: $295

Pro: Gives me X10 and IR if I ever need it (doubtful), bulletproof, free plug-in.
Con: Will get real expensive with multiple temp bobcats, no motion sensors.

Hardwire route #2:

TEMP08 for $95
1WIO for $50
DS18S20 Temp sensor for $9
Total: $154

Pro: Terrific expandability for the cost, free plug-in.
Con: No motion sensors, plug-ins don't appear to support the IO module, no 1-wire experience

Hybrid #1:

WGL800 for $75
AC-RF2 plug-in for $40
9 DS10A for $30
TEMP08 for $95
1WIO for $50
Total: $299

Pro: All the benefits of the 1-wire network, cheap X-10 motion sensors/DS10a hardware
Con: Only benefit over wireless #3 is the 1-wire sensor price?, no 1-wire experience

Hybrid #2:

2 Z-wave Home Manageable door sensors for ~$100
TEMP08 for $95
1WIO for $50
Total: $254

Pro: All the benefits off the 1-wire network, don't need to run wires to garage doors
Con: No wireless expandability for motion

Seems like all you are wanting to do is monitor a second location. If you second location as DSL, Cable or some other continuous connnection to the internet then all you need is the sensor (or actuator) and keep your logic at your main site. From a Homeseer perspective this will look like another room. Think of IP-based IO or IO that is connnected via a IP interface such as Quatech/Lantronix/Comtrol/GlobalCache IP/Serial.

There are many options. At the low-cost end the CAI Webcontrol will give you Analog inputs, Digital IO, Humidity and 1-wire Temperture sensor. It also has the abilty to implement local logic for local control w/o the internet required. Another concept is Temp08 or ADIOcelot with IP/Serial adapter. The ADIOcelot and Webcontrol are functionally similiar. The Temp08 has a little more variety of 1-wire devices. HA7Net is another 1-wire oriented one with IP connection. For RF the RFXCOM as an IP interface option or the W800 is IP/Serial.

It is really a matter of personal preference as far as the particular sensors/actuators you use. As you indicate there are advantages/disadvantages of each. The ones you have used previously are typically the best to use in the future since you already know the issues. That is of course unless your objective is to learn and be on the cutting edge.

Seems like all you are wanting to do is monitor a second location

It's actually the house my father started building before he passed away - he had grand plans for automating it far beyond what I've done at my digs and my mother is humoring my desire to finish it for him. So, I'm also trying to keep in mind that there's a MAF here that probably won't extend as deep as my WAF due to the nature of all of this. First thing I did was set up a VPN server so she won't be tortured by something continually misfiring until I can get over there.

At the low-cost end the CAI Webcontrol will give you Analog inputs, Digital IO, Humidity and 1-wire Temperture sensor.

I had actually skimmed over that big thread on the CAI WebControl when it was new but it had completely slipped my mind since then. I think maybe I'll start down that path and expand to the RFXCom when I get to that bridge... that'll get my immediate needs of the garage doors monitoring down, plus give me the chance to monitor the doorbells and phone.

Can you run the 1-wire sensors off of Cat5e? I have network drops all over the house and it would be an interesting experiment to use the unused pairs to carry the temperature sensors that way... you'd just need to have a couple varieties of DC power to handle the voltage drop over various lengths for that to work, no?

Back