Have any of you used x10.com?

I've used them for years and while X10 is being replaced by other protocols there are still many pieces of hardware that X10 produces that aren't available else where. It also works well for a Home Automation starter if you install a coupler/repeater. X10 .com is a spam engine so unless you have to do not give them your email address at least not one that doesn't have a good spam engine.

kimvi said:
Crap stuff or worth a a look?
both, depends upon your expectations or the particular product. I bet we have all use some x10 branded stuff at some point. Some of the RF stuff is a pretty good value, with a non x-10 branded receiver.

It totally depends on what you are looking at. I still use their palm pads, DS-10's and stick a switches. They work great.
I personally would avoid their cams, their wall switches and their security stuff.

BTW X-10 is NOT being replaced. There are simply more choices in the marketplace now.

even if you think the x10 protocol is going away (I don't, at least not soon), x10.com sells a lot of other things too.

I have no problem with x10.com's email. I gave them a unique address and they never sold it or gave it away. When I unsubscribed they stopped sending. While I was subscribed, you DO get a lot of mail from them, but you requested it :) Others may have had other experiences, like refusing to stop sending, but I think that was in the distant past.

Rupp said:
I've used them for years and while X10 is being replaced by other protocols there are still many pieces of hardware that X10 produces that aren't available else where. It also works well for a Home Automation starter if you install a coupler/repeater. X10 .com is a spam engine so unless you have to do not give them your email address at least not one that doesn't have a good spam engine.
They have so much stuff. Is there anything you would recommend I give a try or suggest I avoid like the plague? ? I have interest in their:

cameras
motion sensors
active home pro
x10 lights & remotes?

WayneW said:
kimvi said:
Crap stuff or worth a a look?
both, depends upon your expectations or the particular product. I bet we have all use some x10 branded stuff at some point. Some of the RF stuff is a pretty good value, with a non x-10 branded receiver.
Like what?

kimvi said:
Rupp said:
I have interest in their:

cameras
motion sensors
active home pro
x10 lights & remotes?
Cams.... NO
Motion Sensors.....YES
Active Home......NO
Switches and socket rockets.....NO

All IMHO of course.

Also important.. don't confuse X-10 the protocol with X-10 the seller of low cost stuff. There are many great X-10 wall switches available from other sources like Leviton for example.

Skibum said:
Cams.... NO
Motion Sensors.....YES
Active Home......NO
Switches and socket rockets.....NO
I concur with Skibum's list: The only X10.com components I buy now are the motion sensors, having tried everything else.

However, I get better support and a lower price by buying them from Automated Outlet. I also forgo their spam that way.

The last time I bought something from X10.com was seven years ago.

And you can't beat a cheap X10 lamp module for automating Christmas lights.

For one month of use a year, I'm NOT going to spend $30 per module for Insteon. I believe I'm up to ~36 modules use for Christmas decorating.

You obviously haven't had a visit from the X10 Ghost of Christmas Past ;) I used X10 for several years, and while it can work just fine, it only takes 1 'event' (i.e., lights come on at night) to convince you to pull the plug on it lol.

I use UPB modules now. Expensive, 1 time investment, but worth it. I use those modules in the summer for other summer related stuff (e.g., sprinkler control, fountain)

WayneW said:
even if you think the x10 protocol is going away (I don't, at least not soon), x10.com sells a lot of other things too.

I have no problem with x10.com's email. I gave them a unique address and they never sold it or gave it away. When I unsubscribed they stopped sending. While I was subscribed, you DO get a lot of mail from them, but you requested it ;) Others may have had other experiences, like refusing to stop sending, but I think that was in the distant past.
I refuse to even go to their website now. I've physically blocked their entire site on my firewall. The last time I pulled that site up, I got pop-ups shooting up all over the place and my pop-up blocker was having trouble keeping up with it. It ought to be illegal for companies to hijack your web browser/computer like that. Why any customer would buy directly from them or share their email address or credit card number with a company like that is beyond me.

Actually, their cheap X10 stuff is just a front to get your contact information. They will sell your contact information 1000 times over, and that is where they make their money. The X10 stuff is just the lure.

Back