HB 4 channel DS2408 relay board and Owcom API

EL34

I am using the Owcom API and VB 2008 express for all my 1 wire programs.

I just got the HB 4 channel relay board from Eric and was ready to experiment.
The first problem I see is the the DS2408 chip is not even listed in the Owcom API primer docs that come with the 1 wire SDK.

I found info on the maxim site that said this chip should not be used for any new designs.
I also found a data sheet that showed using container 29 to read this chip.
http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/an_pk/3286

problem 2 is that there is no container 29 listed in the owcom docs.

Anyone have any info on how to read the DS2408 board using the Owcom API ????????

When I add a reference to my VB 2008 Express projects, I am adding OneWireAPI.net.dll and vjslib the java library.

Where does the owapi.dll come into play?
It's not in my system32 folder?

What do you have to install besides the One wire SDK?

problem 2 is that there is no container 29 listed in the owcom docs.

There is in mine.

Try getting the latest files.

\windows\system32\owapi.dll, version 4.0.0.0

Ok, There is a SDK Version 4.00 beta 2 download on the maxim ic page

I was using the 4.00 Beta

Still, I am proramming in .net and the owapi.dll cannot be added to a Visual Basic 2008 project.
I referenced the OneWireAPI.net.dll in the beta 2 package and container 29 is in that .dll

Here's what happens when you try and add the owapi.dll as a reference.

owapi.gif

Got the HB 4 relay board up and running using container 29 in the laterst .net SDK package at maixim-ic
Pretty simple once I had the right tools.

Gonna have to power (already did it) the relay board locally, (inside my greenhouse).
No problem, the greenhouse has 12vdc from a solar panel/battery storage setup.

Eric, got a question
The HB relay board is regulating that 12 vdc down to 5vdc for it's own usage.
The 5 volts is available off the relay board via the two screw terminals.
I should be able to tap into that 5vdc on the relay board to run all my Greenhouse DS1820 temp sensors that are on the ends of wires, no circuit boards.

Sound reasonable??

Currently, all the DS1820's are getting power from one of your 6 channel master hubs, via the + 5vdc that is present on pin two on a long lan cable.

Eric, got a question
The HB relay board is regulating that 12 vdc down to 5vdc for it's own usage.
The 5 volts is available off the relay board via the two screw terminals.
I should be able to tap into that 5vdc on the relay board to run all my Greenhouse DS1820 temp sensors that are on the ends of wires, no circuit boards.

Sound reasonable??

Currently, all the DS1820's are getting power from one of your 6 channel master hubs, via the + 5vdc that is present on pin two on a long lan cable.

That should work fine DS18S20s don't take hardly any power so there is no risk of overloading the regulator. The only thing is there might be some spikes when the relays turn on/off.

Eric

Ah ok, didn't think about the spikes.
Usually you see a diode across the coils of relays to keep the kick back down to a minimum.
I may just go ahead and build my own 7805 regulator board and use the 12vdc solar panel/battery voltage as the source.
Only a few parts involved with a regulator circuit and I have them all on hand.

Also found out that there was no need to use the +5 volt screw terminal on the relay board.
The relay board was feeding +5vdc and +12Vdc out through the second RJ45 connector, pins 2 and 7

I disconnected the +5 (pin2) and +12 (pin 7) voltages coming from the master hub lan cable.
The greenhouse 12volt solar batteries are now supplying the voltges to all sensors.

Thanks Eric

Ah ok, didn't think about the spikes.
Usually you see a diode across the coils of relays to keep the kick back down to a minimum.

There are reverse diodes across the coils but there can still be small spikes.

Eric

Back