HD repair, CNY style

In the 4 or 5 gaming computers i've built for myself, I used maxtor drives in the first 2, and none of those drives lasted more than a year. I'm currently running an 80 gig IDE seagate drive and a 120 gig SATA seagate drive. We're pushing 2 years now with (knock on wood) no problems. I've never had anything but problems with maxtor, I'm about 50-50 on WD drives, and as of right now, i havent had a seagate drive fail on me. Hopefully when seagate buys maxtor, the quality will go up?

I have had Seagate drives fail on me as well, I think it's almost impossible to say that a certain manufacture is better than others, since the drive mechanics/technology change all the time, fixing problems while creating other problems. But Seagate is my favorite HD manufacture as well.

As an interesting addition: I was helping someone with a Dell this weekend which they have had for about 18 months. It had a Maxtor 160MB drive. Dead. Windows considered it unmountable, hung on format, hung on chkdsk, failed diagnostics.

I agree that every drive is going to have problems at some point (until they get rid of the moving parts). Just thought the timing of this was interesting consdering this discussion.

Well, I got some more snow left, if they want me to recover the data :) Do you have an exact model #? I believe my drive is about 18 months as well (judging by the warranty expiration date).

I handle about 300 pc's at work, and Maxtor drives have certainly been an issue. I personally like Seagate and are a big fan of thier scsi cheetah drives. For standard IDE I buy Seagate or the Enterprise WD drives 1 Million+ hours MTBFs.

I guess thier day will come too. :)

StevenE

Paul said:
Hopefully when seagate buys maxtor, the quality will go up?
It seems to me that that is not why companies buy each other... I think more likely they will sell the good name while producing the bad name.

When first starting out, I had an old Maytag washer I bought third hand... probably 30 years old. We finally got rid of it because it was just too ugly. I would have, (and did) bought any appliance they made , sight unseen. After buying a junky washer, dryer, refrigerator and stove, I have come to the conclusion that I wouldn't buy their stuff at all any more. In my opinion that's pretty stupid to run a company's rep into the ground, but hey, what do I know?

I think Dell is working in that direction.

From when my kids were little, I wish Fisher Price made more stuff :D

Just to show how it's almost impossible to have a favorite manufacture, I just lost a Seagate 80G HD :)

electron said:
Just to show how it's almost impossible to have a favorite manufacture, I just lost a Seagate 80G HD :(
WHAT is going on in your home? Are those mice dancing on top of your computers/hard drives causing all this damage? Are aliens visiting at night distributing cosmic rays with their probs/scans thus creating havoc on your electronic/mechanical components (I heard of this possibility :) )?!?!?

Whatever it is, it's getting really annoying. This one has the click of death, so I can't even recover it myself.

electron said:
I figured I would wait with that test after I 'cool down', or it will be useless hehe.
Good point. Remember it's a drop test, not throw, stomp, mutilate, beat with a sledgehammer, etc... test! :)

don't forget, drives like to be cool when running. i use speedfan ( http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php ) to monitor my drive temps. i found they were running about 100F so i added 2 case fans to my servers (one in the back & one by the drives) and the temps dropped to about 85-90 degrees.

Back